<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">
      <tr>
      <td> </td>
      <td> </td>
      <td> </td>
      </tr>
      </table>
      </body>

In the first column I added an object size 120x1200 pixels. When I do this all 3 column drop down to the 1200 pixels. That’s okay but when I try to add another image or text in to the second column the curser stays in the centres of the middle column not as I want it to at the top!

How do I add another object or text in to the second column so it stays at the top of the column / page not in the middle and also not to interfere with the overall <body><table></table></body> size?

I have tried adding another table in the to the second column <td><table></table>td>but again it centres again in the column.

I have just started working with tables as most of my web work I have done is with layers which seem easier, you can move then around unlike tables!

I found a way of inserting a table in layout mode, but not sure if this is the correct way to do thing working with tables?

Any help or comments would be very useful.

Thanks
      Gary.

• 1. Re: Table width and columns
          Level 7
          > How do I add another object or text in to the second column so it stays at the
          > top of the column / page not in the middle and also not to interfere with the
          > overall <body><table></table></body> size?

add to the td's: valign="top"

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com
          divaGPS : you-are-here menu highlighting
          divaFAQ : FAQ pages with pizazz

www.valleywebdesigns.com
          JustSo PictureWindow
          JustSo PhotoAlbum

--
          • 2. Re: Table width and columns
            ghi572000 Level 1
            Thanks Michael that did the trick.

Just one moe thing is it a good idear or not a good idear to use layout mode and to put a table within another table?

A a good site or links that gives good easy reading for progressing with tables!

Thanks anyway.

Gary
            • 3. Re: Table width and columns
              Level 7
              It is NOT a good idea to use Layout mode, and it's OK to put tables within
              tables.

There are table tutorials at the DW FAQ link in my signature.

You may also benefit from this -

http://apptools.com/rants/spans.php

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"ghi572000" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:f9kt51$l9b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks Michael that did the trick.
              >
              > Just one moe thing is it a good idear or not a good idear to use layout
              > mode
              > and to put a table within another table?
              >
              > A a good site or links that gives good easy reading for progressing with
              > tables!
              >
              > Thanks anyway.
              >
              > Gary
              >

• 4. Re: Table width and columns
                ghi572000 Level 1
                Thanks Murray easy reading clear, however a few more questions if possible?

Firstly, I have been using layers for most web sites I have built and seem not to have problems with search engines finding the sites, so what is the difference from using the two methods of design? Now that I'm using tables I am actually enjoying it and it’s a challenge anyway!

The other thing is regards submit forms; I have no problem designing in dreamweaver, what is the problem is adding the coding for it to work how I want it to? I have done lots of searching but everything seems so complicating, I am at basic level. I have found some free down load JavaScript files with the html code but can’t seem to figure out sending the form, where do you add my email address to retrieve the data? I’d like the form details to be sent to the sender and with a thank you massage after submit.

I have been using an old ASP which uses CDODNO but some ISP do not support this so I’m looking now for something more flexible!

If you can give me any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot
                Regards
                Gary

Nowstarted introding the use of tables
                • 5. Re: Table width and columns
                  Level 7
                  > Firstly, I have been using layers for most web sites I have built and seem
                  > not
                  > to have problems with search engines finding the sites, so what is the
                  > difference from using the two methods of design? Now that I'm using
                  > tables I
                  > am actually enjoying it and it?s a challenge anyway!

Content is equally exposed to search engines whether in layers or in tables,
                  so this would not be a meaningful criterion on which to decide between the
                  two. Take a read of this -

http://apptools.com/examples/pagelayout101.php

Maybe you will get a flavor for what lies ahead from that.

> The other thing is regards submit forms; I have no problem designing in
                  > dreamweaver, what is the problem is adding the coding for it to work how I
                  > want
                  > it to?

There is no problem other than the fact that HTML has no facilty for
                  processing form submittals. That must be done server side, meaning you will
                  have to either learn how to code your own form processing scripts, or learn
                  how to use some third-party scripts to your purposes. It's not so hard to
                  do this.

> I have found some free down load JavaScript files with the html
                  > code but can?t seem to figure out sending the form, where do you add my
                  > email
                  > address to retrieve the data?

Well, I doubt that you have found javascript form processing, since
                  javascript is client-side code, and forms need to be processed on the
                  server. But to try to answer your question, I would need to know what it is
                  you currently have and where you want to go with it.

> I have been using an old ASP which uses CDODNO but some ISP do not support
                  > this so I?m looking now for something more flexible!

Ahh - you mean CDONTS. And, you mean HOST not ISP, right? CDONTS has been
                  replaced with CDOSys, which is about the same, only a little different.
                  But, again, we would need to see what you have.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                  ==================

"ghi572000" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:f9l3dd$rta$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks Murray easy reading clear, however a few more questions if
                  > possible?
                  >
                  > Firstly, I have been using layers for most web sites I have built and seem
                  > not
                  > to have problems with search engines finding the sites, so what is the
                  > difference from using the two methods of design? Now that I'm using
                  > tables I
                  > am actually enjoying it and it?s a challenge anyway!
                  >
                  > The other thing is regards submit forms; I have no problem designing in
                  > dreamweaver, what is the problem is adding the coding for it to work how I
                  > want
                  > it to? I have done lots of searching but everything seems so complicating,
                  > I am
                  > at basic level. I have found some free down load JavaScript files with the
                  > html
                  > code but can?t seem to figure out sending the form, where do you add my
                  > email
                  > address to retrieve the data? I?d like the form details to be sent to the
                  > sender and with a thank you massage after submit.
                  >
                  > I have been using an old ASP which uses CDODNO but some ISP do not support
                  > this so I?m looking now for something more flexible!
                  >
                  > If you can give me any ideas I would really appreciate it.
                  >
                  > Thanks a lot
                  > Regards
                  > Gary
                  >
                  >
                  > Nowstarted introding the use of tables
                  >