4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 2:12 PM by lisachao

AIR2 installer questions

abeall Level 3

I've read about AIR2's native installers, but I'm a little confused about a few points:

1. Do native installers handle installing the AIR runtime if it is needed? Or does the user still need to first install the AIR runtime?

2. Can the application run as a standalone application without installation?

Basically I'm looking for a way that makes the existence of the AIR runtime transparent to the end-user. I think AIR is brilliant and I promote it to clients whenever I can, but since AIR1 I've found that clients and users are both confused and skeptical about having to install AIR in addition to their application. It would be great if the installation of the AIR runtime was just another dialog to click through in a single installer sequence. The web install badge handles this pretty well, but for specific distribution (like sending an app to a kiosk provider) it doesn't really make sense.

Thanks for any tips!

- Aaron

• 1. Re: AIR2 installer questions
          abeall Level 3

Interestingly, the Shu Player (native standalone app wrapper for AIR) looks like it's folding up because AIR2 "somewhat negates the need for Shu" -- still, I think a there's no way to do a standalone .air app?

http://www.shu-player.com/support

Please note, due to the release of AIR 2.0 which somewhat negates the need for Shu, we are no longer offering email or phone support for any version of Shu other than information contained within this website.                     
          • 2. Re: AIR2 installer questions
            lisachao Adobe Employee

Hi Aaron,

Yes, native installers handle installing the AIR runtime if it is needed.  If AIR runtime is already installed, the native installer proceeds to installing the AIR app only.  If AIR runtime is not already installed, the native installer will download and install the required runtime and then proceed to install the AIR app.  If AIR runtime is installed but version is insufficient, the native installer will download and install the required runtime and then proceed to install the AIR app.  I hope this answers your question.  Please let me know if you have further questions about native installers.

Thanks

Lisa Chao

AIR QE

• 3. Re: AIR2 installer questions
              abeall Level 3

Yep that answers it quite thoroughly, thanks! Sounds like a great feature which should hopefully address the issues I've had in the past with distributing an AIR app.

One thing I notice is that it has to download AIR, which means internet connection is necessary. Is there any way to package the correct AIR runtime inside the installer so no internet is needed, or any plans for such a feature in the future?

• 4. Re: AIR2 installer questions
                lisachao Adobe Employee

Currently in AIR2, packaging the correct AIR runtime inside the installer (e.g. native installer side car installation) is not supported.  However, work is being done on it and will be released in the future.  Thanks for your patience.  Glad we can address some of the issues you've had in the past with distributing an AIR app.

-Lisa Chao

AIR QE

1 person found this helpful