8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 6:50 PM by the_wine_snob

setting in for slate / clapboard

richcampent

i am new to premiere and want to set the cursor to the exact point where the clapboard peaks on the audio but when I go to click it goes to the frame before or after, in Final Cut I had to hold shift to get the exact point. how do I do this in premiere? thanks!

• 1. Re: setting in for slate / clapboard
          tclark513 Level 3

Just use the keyboard to set the inpoint.  "I"

• 2. Re: setting in for slate / clapboard
            shooternz Level 6

If you are synching Video to Audio..another (and I would suggest better) way of doing it is to use

'Markers"   (Asterisk Key on NUM Key Pad).

Mark Audio Clap and Video Clap separately.

• 3. Re: setting in for slate / clapboard
              richcampent Level 1

thanks for the replies! In Final Cut I would set it as an input the problem is that the start of the clapboard happens between 2 frames so I cannot set the input or a marker at the begining and the audio would be off by a half frame, however in FCP I was able to get an exact position by holding the shift key and selecting the exact partial frame. Thanks!

I am looking to switch from FCS to CS5 and hoping to learn the ins and outs of it all. Thanks!

• 4. Re: setting in for slate / clapboard
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are syncing your slate's visual to your slate's audio, change the TimeCode to Audio Units. Turn OFF Snap. Alt click your Audio stream, and slide it to match. For Video, the smallest increment that you can have is 1 Frame. With Audio, it will be the reciprocal  of the Sample-Rate.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: setting in for slate / clapboard
                  shooternz Level 6

Half a frame is not a critical synch error.

It cant be seen. Its approx 100th of a second (PAL)

You can change the resolution of the audio  btw if it really worries you.

Also there is an auto synch match workflow ( I think) in PPRO ..using markers (I think)

Whatever...Markers are still  a better way to synch up audio /video.  You can do it from the source monitor.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: setting in for slate / clapboard
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, there are many (usually from the Audio community), who want half, quarter, and one even 1/10th of a Frame. Well, think about it for a moment. What would 1/2 of a Frame look like in a Video? It would look like the old days of still film photography, with linear shutters and one choosing a sync (flash) shutter speed about about 1/60th, or 1/80th of a sec. - partially exposed frame!

That is why with Video, one can only limit things to a single Frame. Audio Units are different, and while one can only do the visuals on the Frame-level, adjustment can be made in the Audio, relative to the Video. Just set the TimeCode to Audio Units and slip-n-slide away. Hint: Zoom the Timeline's horizontal view to Max, to see what you are doing, and then listen carefully. Remember, makes sure that Snap is OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: setting in for slate / clapboard
                      Level 4

-----------

With Audio, it will be the reciprocal  of the Sample-Rate.

------------

what do you mean by that ? I'm an audio idiot...

• 8. Re: setting in for slate / clapboard
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

With Audio, if you have a really sharp eye, a steady hand, a big, high-rez monitor, you can adjust your Audio to 1/48000th of a second. Obviously, one will never be able to adjust things at that level, but mathematically, it's possible.

Hope that helps,

Hunt