8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 9:35 AM by the_wine_snob

PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync

JeffPriest

Hi All,

I'm new to elements and am working my way through things. One thing I have noticed is that during the editing process, when previewing clips in the timeline, and especially after a transition, the audio and video falls out of sync and the video becomes choppy. What can I do to prevent this?

Here's my setup:

2x7200rpm HD - 1 for running elements, the other for cacheing and scratch disks

2gbs of ram

all additional processes shut down - I'm on a network, so I can't turn of my internet connection or virus scaning (Norton)

Intel Core 2Duo e8400 at 3ghz.

onboard video/sound card

XP Pro - latest service pack.

thanks for your help with this,

Jeff

• 1. Re: PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please let us know all about your source footage, and your Project Preset. This ARTICLE will give you tips on the info that would be so helpful, and also how to gather some of it.

Also, can you go into some detail about the the Clips on the Timeline, and the Transitions used. Are these Clips Instances that you have done cuts on, or are they the full Clips from the camera, and you are joining them and then applying the Transition?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync
            JeffPriest Level 1

Hi Bill,

thanks for the warm welcome and your questions.

Here's the rundown:

the clips are m2ts shot in HD with sony hdrrx500, 2ch audio on VT1, cut down to capture the required piece

the transitions are into and out of a jpeg image laid on VT2

the transistions used are: Cross disolve, with the alignment Center at Cut and some start/end at cut

According to g-spot, the codecs are:
            src a:MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Demultiplexer b:MainConcept (Adobe2) AVC/H.264 Video Decoder c: Video renderer

src a:MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Demultiplexer b:MainConcept (Adobe2) Dolby Digital Audio Decoder c: MainConcept Adobe2 Layer II Audio Encoder d: MPEG Audio Decoder e: Default DirectSound Device

project settings:

General:

Frame Size 1920 x 1080 (16:9)

Display format: 30fps drop frame timecode

title safe are: 20%

action safe 10%

Capture:HD

Rendering: previews: optimize stills.

on a side note, I have read and implemented the article on a Mean and Lean editing machine!

Thanks for your help, I hope this is all the info you need, if not, let me know what else you need.

Jeff

• 3. Re: PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In your 2x HDD setup, exactly how do you have everything allocated?

This would be something like this:

C:\ OS, programs, Page File

D:\ Projects, Media and Scratch Disks

You gave us a bit of that info, but lets go into just a bit more detail.

Now, when you have populated your Timeline, do all Clips have a red line above them, or do you see the red ONLY where you have added your JPEG, and your Transitions?

If you do have plenty of red, what happens with you hit Enter, to Render for best playback (note: will Render both Video and Audio), and then play the Timeline?

What is the pixel x pixel dimension for that JPEG?

Adobe programs can have some issues with muxed (Multiplexed - combined Audio & Video in one file) MPEG material, but that is usually NOT with camera original MPEG's, and more often when one has done an Export, or has ripped the AV file from a DVD.

I assume that your Sony is producing footage as 1920 x 1080, as per your Project Preset. Is that correct?

If worse comes to worse, this ARTICLE will give you tips on fixing OOS, but ideally, this should not be happening, so tracking down the cause is job 1.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

So your problem transition is between two still photos -- not between video clips?

In any event, is there a red line above the clips on your timeline? If so, you need to render by pressing the Enter key. The red line will turn green and the video will display more clearly and smoothly.

Also, since you are using AVCHD clips, have you ensured your Premiere Elements project is using the 1920x1080 AVCHD project setting?

And have you ensured your JPEG photos are no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size?

• 5. Re: PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync
                  JeffPriest Level 1

Hi Bill and Steve,

Thanks for your quick response, i'll try and answer both of your questions in this thread

Here's the setup of drive 1 and 2

1: o/s, page, project

2: scratch and assets (will move project here)

The video is 45 seconds long, all clips currently have a redline over them, when i hit enter, it renders, but only renders the first 8 seconds of the video (after the first transition out of the jpeg ) and the redline remains over the rest of the clip. Once I rendered the project, the first transition handled a lot smoother.

the resolution for the jpeg is 1400 x 932 at 300 dpi.

the movie mode is HD LP - which records in MPEG4 AVCHD 2.64, Video Resolution :  1920 x 1080

The project settings are NTSC-AVCHD FULL HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel

Thanks again guys,

Jeff

• 6. Re: PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    The video is 45 seconds long, all clips currently have a redline over them, when i hit enter, it renders, but only renders the first 8 seconds of the video (after the first transition out of the jpeg ) and the redline remains over the rest of the clip. Once I rendered the project, the first transition handled a lot smoother.

This usually indicates that the WAB (Work Area Bar) has been set to only a portion of the Timeline. To reset it, hit \ (Backslash key) to zoom the Timeline out to max. Then, click on the little block in the middle of the WAB to expand it to the full Timeline. Hit Enter again, and the full Timeline should Render.

Here is a look at the WAB:

WAB_Info_01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync
                      JeffPriest Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the excellent advice, everything is working great now.

I've upped my pagefile to over 3050mb and adjusted the WAB, and the video runs very smoothly.

One last thing, if I may, I'm rebuilding my system and I'd like a recommendation on a Video Card, that's reasonably inexpensive. I'm looking at an i5, 4gb ram, 2x 7200 sata hds, windows 7 pro.

Thanks again,

Jeff

• 8. Re: PrElements 8 - loss of a/v sync
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

There are some great articles on the Premiere Hardware Forum, and most are by Harm Millaard (look for his posts). He goes into detail on all aspects of computers for video editing.

Now, with video cards, many of his recs. concentrate around the CUDA support for the Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) in CS5, but he has other recs. for previous versions of Premiere. I'd read all of his equipment articles, to get an idea of what would work best.

I do not have a clue if PrE 9 will incorporate anything involving the MPE, so do not know if one should even bother considering such a card with PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - glad that things are working smoothly for you now!