5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 5:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Moving Files from Premiere Elements 8 PC to Premiere pro CS5 for Mac

Jds420

Hi, I am a new Creative Suite CS5 Production Premium user on a Mac, and I am trying to open some of my unfinished video projects from my old computer with Premier Pro. My old computer was a PC and I had been editing HD footage with Premier Elements 8, but I now have a fully equipped MacBook Pro which is much more suitable for what I was trying to do on my old computer, and i would prefer to finish my projects on my new mac rather than My old computer.

I exported my workspace for the videos and the elements file i was working on into folders and moved them over to my Mac's hard drive. I read that Premiere Pro CS5 automatically converts elements files when they are opened, however I get an error message about how they are files for a PC version of Elements and cannot be opened. My question is, is there a way to convert premier elements 8 PC files into something which can be opened on Premier Pro CS5 for Mac?

• 1. Re: Moving Files from Premiere Elements 8 PC to Premiere pro CS5 for Mac
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you talking about PROJECT files, or DATA files?

• 2. Re: Moving Files from Premiere Elements 8 PC to Premiere pro CS5 for Mac
            Jds420 Level 1

I believe Project files, I moved all of the videos and other media in a single folder, along with the project itself saved as  .prel 

When i try to open the .prel file with Premiere Pro it gives me a error that says it cannot be opened on a mac.

• 3. Re: Moving Files from Premiere Elements 8 PC to Premiere pro CS5 for Mac
              the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE is only available for the PC. Unfortunately, there is zero compatibility between PrE PC Project files (PREL) and PrPro on a Mac.

It was about the same with PrPro 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 Project files, as they were PC-only, and there was no Mac version, until CS3. The only workaround then was that one could get a friend on a PC with CS3 to Open/Import the PrPro 1.0 - 2.0 Projects into it, let it convert and then do a Save_As. That resultant Project COULD be Opened/Imported into CS3 Mac. The compatibility is with PrE8 and CS5-PC only.

Your choices are:

1.) Export the rough-edited files from PrE on your old PC, and then Import those as Assets, to finish editing

2.) Find a friend with CS5-PC, Import/Open those PrE Project files into that, do a Save_As and then move the Project files to your Mac

3.) Finish editing in PrE on the PC

Sorry for the bad news, but good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Moving Files from Premiere Elements 8 PC to Premiere pro CS5 for Mac
                Jds420 Level 1

Thanks, I think I might be able to find someone to convert the files. Just one more question, when I take the project files to get converted, do i need to take the media with it or can i just put only the project files on a flash stick and have them converted?

• 5. Re: Moving Files from Premiere Elements 8 PC to Premiere pro CS5 for Mac
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You DO have to have the media files. What I'd recommend doing is Copying over EVERYTHING to an external. That will result in one little thing to take care of - your media files will not be where they were located, when the Project (PREL) was Saved. PrE will help you along, and ask "where is file _____?" You can then use Find to locate that, if you do not remember the exact Path (remember the Path was probably something like D:\[Project Name]\Video, but is NOW F:\[Project Name]\Video. Just navigate to the new location, find the first file, and PrE will then automatically link all required files in that folder. If divided up amongst more folders, just rinse and repeat.

For some background on the Project files (PREL in PrE and PRPROJ in PrPro), this ARTICLE will give you some insight. That will explain what is in the PREL, and why you do need the media files.

Good luck, and treat your friend to a beverage of his/her choice.

Hunt