4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2010 1:23 AM by svfitz RSS

Photoshop elements... any good?

mtptl
      i am looking to buy photoshop... but before i do, i want to get photoshop elements to somewhat test it out... do you think that's a good idea? is it anything good compared to the full version of photoshop? for someone who is somewhat starting out, is it a good investment? what types of things can you do with it?
        • 1. Re: Photoshop elements... any good?
          Barbara B. ACP/MVPs

If you're really interested and not just spamming us (I removed your link), why not just download the trial and see what you think?

• 2. Re: Photoshop elements... any good?
            captaincranky Community Member

mtptl wrote:

i am looking to buy photoshop... but before i do, i want to get photoshop elements to somewhat test it out... do you think that's a good idea? is it anything good compared to the full version of photoshop? for someone who is somewhat starting out, is it a good investment? what types of things can you do with it?

Posts like this seem to beg the response, "either buy the book or wait for the movie". Oh, then there's also the customary recommendation of a "Digital Photography" course at your local community college.

A more direct response would be that PSE is sufficient for 90% of users. This is comparing editor to editor as Photoshop doesn't have an actual "Organizer" section. Still in all, with either program there's a steep learning curve that sometimes is best surmounted by at least an introductory course. Photoshop is usually taught, but with certain functions removed in PSE, the programs operate generally operate the same way, with most of the same keyboard shortcuts.

I find the "what kinds of things can you do with it" question a bit too trite for a very complex subject. Consequently, I'll give that the answer it merits, "edit pictures".

• 3. Re: Photoshop elements... any good?
              svfitz

Being a Newbie myself, I can appreciate where you're coming from. I have just

trialled CS5 for 30 days (fantastic), and am at day 25/30

trialling elements. Clearly I have done the trials the wrong way around as elements can't compete. BUT it d

epends what you want the program for. If $$ aren't a hurdle -

go the full program. If you just want to fiddle a few things on your photos - go e

lements. It is safe to say, you'll get what you pay for but if you're not INTO i

t, the full photoshop might be overkill. Good luck!

• 4. Re: Photoshop elements... any good?
                svfitz Community Member

Some people just aren't savvy with all this stuff, but I agree that a trial is the way t

o go