I just got this problem after installing CS4, WinXP... it popped up when trying to open an AS3 fla file.
Solved it by LOWERING the xmx value for JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS to 128
To do this:
- Open Control Panel
- Open 'System'
- Go the Advanced tab
- Select Environment Variables...
- In the 'user variables' area you should see this:
Edit that so it's -Xmx128M
Click OK to save
I have no idea why this fixed it, but it did. Good luck
Well this is a very old post but this error appear again in CS5.5, then I think is helpful retake this post
In Flash CS5.5 the issue is solved editing the file:
"c:\Users\current user\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS5.5\en_US\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0\jvm.ini"
and lowering the Xmx128m to 128, some times this must be rised to compile large applications with a huge amount of AS3, or to use some Flex 4.5 libs from Flash Professional
I hope this help to CS5.5 users.
Here is the workaround, I did it with success.
Hope it will be usefull to anybody else who has this problem too.
-- Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit)
-- Java SE 6
-- Flash CS5.5 Pro
-- 4GB RAM
-- 2x 2.5Ghz CPU
-- 500GB HDD
1. Uninstal Java.
2. Uninstal Flash.
3. Restart your computer.
4. (optional) If you have any registry cleaner program, run it and make sure java was completely removed.
5. Install Flash. (but do not run yet)
6. Restart your computer.
7. Bye Bye "Error initializing Java Runtime Environment , You may need to reinstall Flash." error.
8. !!! IMPORTANT !!! NEVER UPDATE JAVA!
Message was edited by: tolgabasaran