5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 9:10 AM by Larry G. Schneider

placing objects via grids

anotherkentpaul

Can someone of you please tell me how I could place an object (for instance a simple circle) in the upper left edge of a self-set grid pattern? I only found the options "snap to grid" and "snap to point", but that's not what I was meant to do. It only snaps to some recommended vertical lines. Please help if you can!

• 1. Re: placing objects via grids
          JETalmage Level 6

You can set the document grid to whatever increment size you want. Lookup Grid in online Help. Turn on visibility of the Grid (View>ShowGrid) so you can see what you're doing, until you get accustomed to it.

If you are trying to create an array of instances of the same object, look at Effects>Distort&Transform>Transform.

If you are trying to arrange dissimilar objects into a rectangular array, look at the Align and Distribute options.

JET

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: placing objects via grids
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I don't know about anyone else but I have no idea what you mean.

Could you be more detailed about this and not create a term that only you understand when describing this as that would help.

And perhaps post, using the camera icon a screenshot of what you want to do.

• 3. Re: placing objects via grids
              anotherkentpaul Level 1

It's quite difficult to find fitting words in a foreign language. But I will try to explain what I was about to do (or better what I tried to do):

1. I have a simple circle object.

2. I am using helplines (guides) and a grid in the background.

3. For instance I set the grid up to show a line each 5 millimeters. Now I want to place my circle (from fact 1) at one of the crossing lines in the grid. I made a screenshot for better understanding:

placingobjectsviagrids.png

• 4. Re: placing objects via grids
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

kentpaul,

When you know the X and Y values of the cross, you can just select the circle (keeping the upper left Reference Point) and insert those X and Y values in the Transform panel.

• 5. Re: placing objects via grids
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The way you have it set up is to use the upper left of the bounding box to be located at the point you indicated. If you want the circle to be centered at that point, the choose the middle box of the 9.