10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 8:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 crashing

ising.walker10

I worked on a video 2 days ago and then I tried to work on the same video yesterday and after everything loads and before i can do anything a box comes up saying it has to shut down, because something is not working correctly. I restarted my computer and tried for an hour but still the sam result.

HELP!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

We'll need lots more information before we can help you, ising, per the note at the top of this forum.

What kind of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

What operating system are you using?

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how my free, defragmented space is left on your hard drive?

It would also help to know if you've successfully completed a project in the past with this same type of footage.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Those pesky error messages can be rather important. The exact text of the message should give some clues as to what is happening. Can your repeat your operations, and make exact note of what the error message is telling you?

Depending on what OS you have, MS has just delivered a bunch of updates lately, and those have a habit of killing audio and video drivers.

I would immediately download and install both your audio and video drivers from the mfgrs' Web sites. Do not rely on any sort of driver checking tool, or service. Go to the mfgrs' site and do this manually.

If things do not work perfectly, it's probably time to give us much more info. This ARTICLE will give you tips on doing that, and also tell you how to gather some of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
              ising.walker10 Level 1

this is what i know  the camera im using is the slide fliphd

my processor is 1.80 ghz

memory ram is 2037 mb (but im pretty sure that may be what was on there when we first got it i dont know how to find out how much we've used)

im on windows xp vista

my camrea is new but this isnt the first time this has happened but the last time i just waited a couple of days and it went away but i don't have a couple of days this time

for the other guy

I get on click on the project it loads and then this  screen pops up

the exact scren that pops up says

Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

thanks for getting answering so fast ya'll rock!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Some times, we're here working with others, and see a post pretty quickly. Other times, we might all be away from the computer, and a post will sit for a bit.

As mentioned above, the audio and video drivers are very important, and need to be updated often, especially if there have been OS updates. Not sure if you have XP, or Vista (two different MS OS's), but XP just had a bunch of updates, as of yesterday.

While you are doing the driver updates, check your version of Apple's QT Player. I believe that the current is still 7.6.6. If you have earlier, you will want to update that.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on setting up your computer for an editing session. Often, there are other programs, or Processes, that load at boot up, that get in the way.

Also, when a program encounters a problem, hangs, or crashes, there is often a "breadcrumb trail" left behind. This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding clues amongst the breadcrumbs. Event Viewer will often tell you exactly what the problem is, and someone here can likely give you tips on fixing things.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
                  ising.walker10 Level 1

we have vista and im pretty positive i have the latest version of ouicktime because i had to update that when i updated my itunes

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
                    A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Did the crashes/hangs start after you updated iTunes?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
                        ising.walker10 Level 1

well this is the first time ive used it since the update of itunes so yes  but i have used premiere in about 3 months

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
                          ising.walker10 Level 1

but it would still crash even before i updated but before it would not crash untill i was on it for about an hour.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashing
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            before it would not crash untill i was on it for about an hour.

This could indicate that something is robbing you of necessary resources over time. That Clean, Lean, Mean" article might be very useful in this case.

As one can eliminate a bunch of TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) Processes and programs, with a TSR manager, like EndItAll, I would recommend something like that, just for editing sessions.

Good luck,

Hunt