13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2010 6:06 AM by MurraySummers

CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately

tangolocoxoxo

In Dreamweaver MX whenever I updated a template all the files which use that template, including the open ones, would be updated immediately.  Now in CS4 when I update a template I still get the Update Page dialogue and the message that all of the files have been updated.  However, the files that use the template which are open are not updated immediately.  I have to close the file and reopen it.  Sometimes, if I leave Dreamweaver, go do something else, and then come, back I get a message 'This file has been modified outside of Dreamweaver.  Do you want to reload it?'  How to I get Dreamweaver to update the open files immediately like it did in Dreamweaver MX?

• 1. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
          MurraySummers Level 8

DWCS4 works exactly the same as DMX did with regard to template processing.

Perhaps your site cache has become corrupted, which can affect link management.  Try SITE | Advanced > Recreate Site Cache.  Then open the template in question, make a small but trivial change to the non-editable region, and save it.  Did your files update properly?

• 2. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
            tangolocoxoxo Level 1
            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Murray *ACP* wrote:

DWCS4 works exactly the same as DMX did with regard to template processing.

Perhaps your site cache has become corrupted, which can affect link management.  Try SITE | Advanced > Recreate Site Cache.  Then open the template in question, make a small but trivial change to the non-editable region, and save it.  Did your files update properly?

Tried this, same result.

• 3. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
              MurraySummers Level 8

So since upgrading to CS4, you have never gotten template updates to proceed as normally expected from this site?  Does it work in other sites, or are the symptoms the same across all sites?

Please upload your template to some webspace you control, and post a link to it, so we can see the code.

• 4. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                tangolocoxoxo Level 1

Murray *ACP* wrote:

So since upgrading to CS4, you have never gotten template updates to proceed as normally expected from this site?  Does it work in other sites, or are the symptoms the same across all sites?

Please upload your template to some webspace you control, and post a link to it, so we can see the code.

I don't know how long it's been happening.  I've been going back and forth between MX and CS4 for awhile as the site gets converted to accommodate all of this css stuff that CS4 imposes.

Not a lot to the template.  Here it is:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
                "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
                <html>
                <head>
                <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
                <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
                <title></title>
                <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
                <link href="../reviews/musicblog/wp-content/themes/DMDBinB/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
                </head>
                <body>
                <div align="center">
                   <table width="750" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
                    <tr>
                      <td><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="Main" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --></td>
                    </tr>
                  </table>
                </div>
                </body>
                </html>

• 5. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                  MurraySummers Level 8

Looks pretty simple to me.

Spawn a new child page from that template.  Make this change to the template -

<!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- Testing -->

Does the change propagate to the new child page?

• 6. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                    tangolocoxoxo Level 1

Murray *ACP* wrote:

Looks pretty simple to me.

Spawn a new child page from that template.  Make this change to the template -

<!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- Testing -->

Does the change propagate to the new child page?

The change did not propagate.

Update:  I left the file open in DW and started working on something unrelated.  When I came be to DW I again got the popup:  'This file has been modified outside of Dreamweaver.  Do you want to reload it?'

• 7. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                      MurraySummers Level 8

Try this:

1.  Open DW's Site manager.

2.  Select the site you are currently using in the list, and click on the EXPORT button.

3.  Select the first radio button (export the FTP details too) and save the definition in a place where you can find it!

4.  With the site's name still selected, press REMOVE and remove that site definition.

5.  Now IMPORT the definition you just exported.

Now try your trivial template change and see if the pages updated properly.

• 8. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                        tangolocoxoxo Level 1

Murray *ACP* wrote:

Try this:

1.  Open DW's Site manager.

2.  Select the site you are currently using in the list, and click on the EXPORT button.

3.  Select the first radio button (export the FTP details too) and save the definition in a place where you can find it!

4.  With the site's name still selected, press REMOVE and remove that site definition.

5.  Now IMPORT the definition you just exported.

Now try your trivial template change and see if the pages updated properly.

Did all that.  Rested and got the same results.  Still not working.

• 9. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                          MurraySummers Level 8

Lemme just check things:

1.  The template is named with a *.dwt extension, right?

2.  The template is within a folder called "Templates" which is at the root level of the site?

3.  The changes you are making that you want to propagate are all being made in NON-EDITABLE regions of the template page?

Those will help me feel like we are on solid ground....

• 10. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                            tangolocoxoxo Level 1

Murray *ACP* wrote:

Lemme just check things:

1.  The template is named with a *.dwt extension, right?

2.  The template is within a folder called "Templates" which is at the root level of the site?

3.  The changes you are making that you want to propagate are all being made in NON-EDITABLE regions of the template page?

Those will help me feel like we are on solid ground....

Yes, to all three.

I don't have another site, but I do have a couple of folders which have only 10 pages or so that I define as sites for convenience.  I tried the same experiment in one of those sites, and DW worked properly.

The site where it doesn't work properly has about 5000 files, but DW only goes though about 2500 when it recreates the cache.  I thought maybe the cache file (the .dws file) was corrupted so I deleted it and let DW recreate it from scratch, but that didn't help.

• 11. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                              MurraySummers Level 8

I'm stumped.  It seems like there is a file somewhere in that set of 5000 that is causing the process to terminate prematurely, but that's just a guess based on the details you have provided.  Everything else seems to be in place OK.  Why would a file terminate the process? I don't have a clue.

Sorry....

• 12. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                                jjrutter

I have started a site in Dremweaver CS4 , With my photos rather tan clog up my template with images I went to Adobe Bridge and built a web Gallery , Bridge built a foler called "Resourses" and a file name "index". I saved them to my hard drive. Ithen copy and pasted both folder and file into a flolder I created in dreamweaver called SS_Bridge. Waht I want to know is if a Host looks for the "Index.html" as its home page will this cause problems as there will be two "Index Files" on the site. One My proper Home page www.jjrutter.com/indec.html and the other "index file in the SS_Bridge Folder.

jjrutter 

• 13. Re: CS4 Files with Template Don't Update Immediately
                                  MurraySummers Level 8

@jjrutter:

Please start a new thread instead of posting an unrelated question in this thread.