19 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 3:46 PM by gerberfamily

Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects

JeffBett

Does anyone know of a solution for using Nvidia 3D Vision glasses and After Effects for 3D viewing.  We have Quadro FX 4800 video cards and Acer 3D monitors but have never been able to activate the glasses in any Adobe applications.  Any help with this would be VERY helpful as we have 200 PCs with this configuration for other apps, but many use After Effects and would love to view the 3D live.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are several people on the After Effects and Premiere Pro teams who have been looking into this sort of 3D work. I don't happen to be one of them, but I'll forward this thread along and see if one of them can come by this forum thread and give you some information.

• 2. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Some folks on the engineering and quality engineering team are looking into this right now. Stay tuned.

• 3. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
              Zac Lam Adobe Employee

> We have Quadro FX 4800 video cards and Acer 3D monitors but have never  been able to activate the glasses in any Adobe applications.

I don't have an answer for After Effects, but Cineform's Neo line of plug-ins provide NVidia 3D Vision support (along with support for other types of glasses too) in Premiere Pro:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/davtechtable/3d-stereoscopic-editing-with-premierepro-cs5-winosx /

• 4. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                Paul_Carlin Level 1

I'd be very interested in support for Nvidia 3D Vision inside of AE as well.  Both as a composition window and as a full screen second monitor.

- Paul

• 5. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                  Jacky T.

We At Gadget Studio just released our first commercial plugin. It enables the display of After Effects active screen on a NVidia 3d Vision screen.

You can download a trial version at:

http://www.gadget-studio.com/Downloads.html

• 6. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                    Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Jacky,

Thanks for posting news on your plug-in here in the AE forums!

I'm interested to know a little more how to use your plug-in to work with 3D video.  In particular, how should the user prepare the video in order to be displayed correctly as 3D?  Does the source video need to be of a specific format, and does the composition have to be arranged in a specific way?

Thanks,

Zac

• 7. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                      Jacky T. Level 1

Hi Zac,

In order to use our plug-in you need to know the 3D tools that After Effects offers natively.
                      I'll explain the way we use it:
                      • Open a new Composition.
                      • Add the left and right eye footage that you want to work on.
                      • On the top layer add the tool Effects>Perspective>3D Glasses
                      • For the left view use the left footage and for the right view, the right.
                      • Leave the 3D View option in "Stereo Pair"
                      • Now, activate the plug-in under Window>Stereoscopic Preview.

That's all. You now will see whatever window is activated on After Effects, using the 3D Vision glasses on your main monitor.
                      I Hope this helps.
                      Jacky

• 8. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                        Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Great, thanks for the clear explanation!

Regards,

Zac

• 9. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                          CLVPRO

I installed the Gadget Studio 3D Trial. After following the steps listed here and on the website, and also trying several other setting, I am still not able to view 3D with Nvidia active shutter glasses in AE. Depending on the settings, I could get anything from a red and blue Anaglyph preview, to side by side modes, but never real-time full color stereo 3D.

I can play video games and watch 3D on my set-up properly. Some of my specs are:

Nvidia GTX 460 FTW Graphics Card

Nvidia 3D Vision Kit

Asus 3D monitor (1920x1080 @ 120hz)

Windows 7 (64 bit)

After Effects CS5

If the plug-in will work with my set-up, can you please post additional steps, or link to AEP file with working settings?

For now I would like to work in AE to create logos and other 3D content from scratch, instead of using footage from a 3D camera.

Thanks,

Jeremy

• 10. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                            Jacky T. Level 1

Are you using a dual monitor setup?

Check if your 3D monitor is defined as the primary screen.

Another thing you need is DirectX 9c installed. If you have a later version, like DirectX 11, you can install 9c and they will coexist.

Our Installer takes care of it, but maybe you cancelled the 9c installation.

Jacky Talpalar

CEO

GADGET STUDIO Ltd.

M.(+972)54-8161875

T.(+972)3-9733449

F.(+972)3-9733450

jacky@gadget-studio.com

www.gadget-studio.com

• 11. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                              CLVPRO Level 1

It appears that when the Gadget Studio plug-in installed the older version of Direct X, the Nvidia 3D Stereoscopic mode got switched to 3D Discovery, which is the anaglyph mode. Once I switched back to support my monitor, and restarted After Effects, I was able to get full screen 3D preview on my monitor.

However, the negative and positive parallax is reversed. I didn't see a way to reverse this in the Gadget display settings. For this latest test I used a side by side clip.

• 12. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                                x.market Level 1

Hi,

I watched the video from Dave Helmly and I read this discussion. 3D vision seems to be a good choice to edit in stereoscopic but does it work only with 3D vision PRO or does it work with 3D vision Home. In the video he talks about 3D vision and nobody says which version of it. Does anyone knows which version is good to work with After effects and premiere.

Thanks,

Xavier

• 13. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                                  CLVPRO Level 1

Hi Xavier,

My understanding of the real world difference of the 3D Vision vs the Pro is that the pro uses a radio based transmitter, which allows a viewing distiance of up to 100 feet. The Standard edition uses an RF transmitter, and the viewer needs to be within 15 feet, with no obstructions.

If your talking about editing on the computer, you and even a second person watching will probably be within 7 feet of the transmitter anyways.

As far as graphics cards, the Quadro cards are for the Pro series, and Nvidia tells us that they are much faster. There are several bench marks using Premiere Pro and other aps on the Adobe forums that have shown actual performance gains of the Quadro cards vs some of the top consumer Nvidia cards are negligible, and in a few cases actually less effective, because of heat and power issues.

You can uses some of the non-Quadro, but still newer Nvidia cards in Premiere Pro for realtime previews and card renders via the Mercury Playback Engine, but you have to unlock those features. There are several posts out there on how to do this. If you want to edit with 3D display in Premiere Pro, you need the Cineform 3D plug-in. Even if you have that installed, my computer always tells me that 3D vision requires full screen playback only. This is true for After Effects, Premiere Pro, Blu Ray 3D playback, and downloaded clips in media players. However online I can view websites (using Silverlight) that have embedded 3D video that is not full screen, and that displays fine in 3D. Also, if your second monitor that is displaying your work area isn't at 120Hz, it will flicker and make it very hard to work, when you main monitor is displaying 3D.

So I'd say if your an average guy editing at home or working at a typical company or school, then skip the pro version. If your working at ILM or a major company that can justify the extra expense, you might get a few extra bells and whistles for that Quadro and pro series. Either way it's still a lot cheaper than the hardware based 3D editors, and the current Nvidia products and CS5 suite are awesome.

• 14. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                                    x.market Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your answer. I already have a Geforce 470GTX card which I unlocked to have the mercury playback engine available. It's working on realtime and I am happy the way it works. I don't think I need a quadro card to do my job. I was looking for some 3d display information into premiere because I have to do subtitling sometime. For instance, I receive a 3D DCDM package. I unwrap it, convert it in TIFF 16Bit XYZ left and right eye. Then I have to put the subtitles but I have to see their Z position to not disturb the eye. For now I use colored glass and anaglyph preview but it is not very good for previewing and at the end of the day my eyes suffers.

• 15. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                                      Purple-Green

Are there any news about this topic? It has been a while since this post now and the only solution I found is Gadget Studio's Stereoscopic Preview plug in (which btw works really well in dual monitor setup). Unfortunately it's just a trial version and I wasn't able to reach them for getting more information, yet.

Is there a built in solution in After Effects CS6 I haven't found?

Thanks,
                                      Purple

• 16. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                                        Jacky T. Level 1

Hi, my name is Jacky Talplalar and I'm the former co-owner and CEO of Gadget Studio Ltd.

In order to purchase the plugin just open After Effects and under Edit>Preferences>GadgetStereoscopicPlugin you will find a tab with an unlock code, as well as a link to the e-commerce

site that sells our plugin.

Please, feel free to contact me at jacky@gadget-3d.com

Jacky

• 17. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                                          Fabio Pis Level 1

Hi Jacky,

I have purchased your plugin time ago.

It was working perfect with 5.5 and 6.0 suite.

Is it compatible with CC version?

thank you in advance

• 18. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                                            woody3d

Apparently you went bankrupt and are out of business.  Anydody else AFTER 5 ******* YEARS HAVE ANY IDEA how to play 3D Vision out of this ancient nightmare of a program?  ADOBE is pathetic.

• 19. Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Support with After Effects
                                              gerberfamily

Jeremy, my setup is identical, as well as the workflow that you described.

Did you ever get NVidia 3d Vision working within AE?

Please post how you did if so!-)

Thanks,

Gary