15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2010 7:23 PM by shooternz

New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings

SaintHuron

I just shot my first video with my new Panasonic AG DVX100B using the the Scene File setting of F6: Scene Advanc which shoots in the 24p progressive advance mode. The footage looks great in the capture screen when I'm brining it into Premiere however the sequence settings I'm using must not be correct. Once in Premiere the footage looks very low-res and all the colors are muddled. The settings I have are as follows:

General

Editing mode: P2 DVCPRO50 NTSC

Timebase: 23.976fps

Video Settings

Frame size: 720h 480v (0.9091)

Frame rate: 23.976 frames/second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)

Audio Settings

Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Default Sequence

Total video tracks: 3

Master track type: Stereo

Mono tracks: 4

Stereo tracks: 0

5.1 tracks: 0

Submix mono tracks: 0

Submix stereo tracks: 0

Submix 5.1 tracks: 0

But the looks of the footage this is not the correct sequence setting but it looks much worse in Premiere than when it's being captured. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
          Jim_Simon Level 8

For starters, you shouldn't use the internal Premiere monitors to judge quality.  Only do that on a properly calibrated external device.

Secondly, you probably should be working in a normal DV sequence in instead of a DVCPRO 50 sequence.

• 2. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
            SaintHuron Level 1

It's not the monitors I'm all set there. But I actually did post the wrong settings that i used. Here is what I have currently that is giving me the poor quality:

General

Editing mode: QuickTime DV 24p

Timebase: 23.976fps

Video Settings

Frame size: 720h 480v (0.9091)

Frame rate: 23.976 frames/second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)

Audio Settings

Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Default Sequence

Total video tracks: 3

Master track type: Stereo

Mono tracks: 0

Stereo tracks: 3

5.1 tracks: 0

Submix mono tracks: 0

Submix stereo tracks: 0

Submix 5.1 tracks: 0

• 3. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It's not the monitors I'm all set there.

OK.  How so?

(Your sequence settings look fine, by the way.)

• 4. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                shooternz Level 6

Check your Playback>Preview setting.

Some presets allow a different CODEC for this function.

Maybe you used the wrong Sequence preset (Check your camera setting). Maybe you do need to use a straight DV Preset, but in my experience...mixing formats on a DV timeline dont cause too many issues if the media is similar.

What version of PPRO?

• 5. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                  SaintHuron Level 1

I'm using a 24" LED Cinema display. And like I said the video looks perfect on the camera as well as the Capture screen within Premiere. Once I actually import the .mov file that the capture produces it looks awful in both the source screen and the program screen. It looks just as bad when I export it.

• 6. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                    SaintHuron Level 1

The playback setting? Do you mean the 24p Conversion Method? I have it set a Interlaced Frame (2:3:3:2). What specific sequence setting would you recommend? I'm assuming I need a setting in 24fps since it was shot with that, am I wrong about this. I'm using CS5 to answer your question.

• 7. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                      shooternz Level 6
                      For starters, you shouldn't use the internal Premiere monitors to judge quality.  Only do that on a properly calibrated external device.

How have you got your external monitors set up and calibrated Jim?

What hardware are you using? ie graphics card, f/w, device, monitor, calibration kit?

I have just done the exercise in my CS5 suite.  Its was kind ofchallenging when working toward a broadcast "standard".

Biggest issue is LCD screens but it is a road strewn with many more issues!

In general for many general PPRO users..what you see on the Premiere monitor should fairly reflect the end result (assuming a reasonable desktop monitor and it is set up properly - as per the 'Color Management' in Win7)

FWIW. One of my external monitors is a quality home style TV (LCD)  but my Desktop screen equals and surpasses many home TV specs (HD) .  Apart from one color pluge (blue/purple)...an almost perfect match.

My Panasonic broadcast reference monitor is another matter and requires a certain amount of interpreting of what one is looking at.

My final arbiter is when I see my work that I am very familiar with...broadcast on television.  (A daily/nightly occurence).

• 8. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                        shooternz Level 6

In CS5...just drag one of your clips onto the NEW Item Icon at he bottom of the Project Window.

This will open a new sequence matching your footage.

The Playback Preview Codec for DVCPRO50 is fixed  so dont worry about that

• 9. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                          SaintHuron Level 1

I tried that but had the same result. What I noticed however is that Premiere is importing the clip, for what ever reason, at 655 x 480 when it should be 720 x 480. I'm not sure why this is because the .mov file created during the capture is 720 x 480 and it looks great. Now all of a sudden it's 655 x 480 and looks awful, any ideas?

• 10. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                            shooternz Level 6

Experiment.  Interpret Footage .

BTW - Did you confirm it was DVCPro50 footage.

• 11. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Firewire passing through my camera to a 14" calibrated SD CRT for first run CC work within Premiere.

Then of course, a burned DVD using component out to an HD CRT for final review.

• 12. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm using a 24" LED Cinema display.

Not the best choice for SD quality monitoring.  Use a CRT if al all possible, either hooked up to Premiere or by burning a disk.

If the exports are also coming out wonky, my only guess at this point is Quirktime.  I assume you're on a Mac and the MOV format is unavoidable?

• 13. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                                  shooternz Level 6

Firewire passing through my camera to a 14" calibrated SD CRT for first run CC work within Premiere.

Then of course, a burned DVD using component out to an HD CRT for final review.

That f/w set up does not work in HD of course and decent new SD CRTs that can be calibrated are very difficult or impossible to purchase these days. 

I would be keen to get an HD CRT in my chain though.   Nothing beats CRT for evaluating detail without the pixel artifacts especially on graphics.  What brand /model do you use?

• 14. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Sony Trinitron KV-34HS510.

Try finding one, though.  Consumers have opted for style over substance, going for thin and light over quality, and consumer CRTs of any resolution are hard to find.

The sheep have spoken.

• 15. Re: New Camera Wrong Sequence Settings
                                      shooternz Level 6

Nice. I would be most keen on one of those in the chain.