12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 9:20 AM by Walt-P

Save as Text error

Walt-P

When I try to save a PDF as TXT, the first line on each page is duplicated:

Page 1->2

"Gladly," interposed the gray-haired man. "Your headquarters is on the way to my hotel. The night is

<ff>
      mild. We can talk as we stroll along."

mild. We can talk as we stroll along."

Page 3->4

"Yes," admitted Rochelle, as he led the visitor through to the front room on the left, "but a worthy one.
      Our publications will go everywhere. Here, senator, is our meeting room."

<ff>
      They were standing in the front room. The senator stared at the walls. Beautifully decorated in many
      colors, they formed maps in mural style. The entire world was depicted. Darvin Rochelle smiled as he
      observed the keen interest which the visitor displayed.

They were standing in the front room. The senator stared at the walls. Beautifully decorated in many
      colors, they formed maps in mural style. The entire world was depicted. Darvin Rochelle smiled as he
      observed the keen interest which the visitor displayed.

Any idea what's happening?  What additional information would be helpful?

• 1. Re: Save as Text error
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What happens when you select the text and copy it.

• 2. Re: Save as Text error
            Walt-P Level 1

Haven't tried that yet.  Whether or not it works, this is still a problem in Adobe that needs to be looked at.

• 3. Re: Save as Text error

Whether or not it works, this is still a problem in Adobe that needs to be looked at.

How did you check this? May be that the text is twice in the document.

Btw.: Adobe is a company.

• 4. Re: Save as Text error
                Level 1

Sounds that you directly copy text from Adobe reader while viewing PDF files. However, I am not sure about the problem. I sometimes like to do similar work but all of them are OK.

• 5. Re: Save as Text error
                  Walt-P Level 1

I just checked it and no, copy/paste is not an acceptable alternative.  By using copy/paste, soft returns are converted to hard returns in the middle of paragraphs and paragraphs are not marked in any way. We lose the ability to distinguish lines vs paragraphs.

And why, in an 82 page document, would someone type the first paragraph of each page twice? And again in another 83 page doc...

Of course Adobe is a company.  It's also a Reader....

• 6. Re: Save as Text error

Of course Adobe is a company.  It's also a Reader...

No.

• 7. Re: Save as Text error
                      ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      Of course Adobe is a company.  It's also a Reader....

Actually, it's a company that makes a reader (among many many other applications).

• 8. Re: Save as Text error
                        Walt-P Level 1

Thank you.  This really helps toward a solution or explanation of the problem. I will attempt to be more anal about the names from now on.

• 9. Re: Save as Text error
                          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I will attempt to be more anal about the names from now on.

The reason we get so anal is because people will come in here, use the term "Adobe", we'll spend a ton of time trying to help until we realize they aren't using Reader at all and should be asking in one of the many other product forums.

• 10. Re: Save as Text error
                            StevKar

So...no ideas on how to actually fix the problem, just complain about someone saying they have a problem with microsoft instead of windows?  I'm having a similar problem, save as text and the file has the first paragraph of the page not only duplicated, but has removed text that originally took the place of the duplicated text.  For example:

Tom and Jane had a dog who constantly hunched their legs and ruined their couch.

They could never decide what to do with the dog.

Finally, they got rid of the thing.

would be saved as:

Tom and Jane had a dog who constantly hunched their legs and ruined their couch.

Finally, they got rid of the thing.

Which becomes very hard to fix in a 200 page file.  The forum says that there's a possible solution, but it seems as if you can't actually click on the solution to go and see what it is, and with no point of reference, you could be searching for a long time.  By the by, I'm using Reader 9.3

Also:  this doesn't happen with every PDF, but I can find no pattern between which ones do and do not cause the problem to occur (images in the file, hyperlinks, etc don't seem to make a difference).

• 11. Re: Save as Text error
                              vbhv_malik Level 1

I am having Reader 9.3.3 on my machine and "Save as Text" works fine for me. There's no duplicate text.

Update your Reader and then try.

• 12. Re: Save as Text error
                                Walt-P Level 1

I actually found a solution that works better for me. Use Some PDF to Text Converter from http://www.somepdf.com/.  You still have to remove the <FF> but it's simpler with a good editor.

And as for the "works for me" messages, I'll send you my PDFs and let you convert them then.