7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2010 7:46 AM by jcrystal76

Re-Sizing Photos for PE7

jcrystal76 Level 1

Up until recently I had not re-sized (the pixels) my photos for use in Premiere Elements 7. So I tried it, following Steve’s instructions in his books. The result was that the re-sized photos did not retain all of the elements / characteristics of the original photos (for example, if my original photo showed a table with flag on the left side and a flag on the right side of the table, the re-sized photo was just of the table and did not include the two flags). Is this the end result of re-sizing works?

• 1. Re: Re-Sizing Photos for PE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that your photo was cropped?

There is no reason that resizing a photo -- if you're Image Resizing rather than Canvas Resizing -- would remove objects from a photo.

Can you post a before and after for us to see?

• 2. Re: Re-Sizing Photos for PE7
            jcrystal76 Level 1

After resizing the photos to 1000 x 750, I used Get Media to bring them into a PE7 project. As icons in the Edit mode, they appeared to be like the original photos. When I put them into the Timeline and played them back, they appeared to be "cropped." I can't post Before and After because the After photos appear like the originals, but are altered dramatically when I insert them into the Timeline and play them back.

• 3. Re: Re-Sizing Photos for PE7
              jcrystal76 Level 1

I used the Guided Editor in the Editor mode of PSE7 and Process Multiple Files to resize the photos.

• 4. Re: Re-Sizing Photos for PE7

What happens if you right-click on the photo on your timeline and select Scale to Frame Size?

It sounds like your 1000x750 photo is stretching beyond the edges of your 720x480 frame. (Posting a photo would tell us for sure.)

(If you plan to do any panning and zooming around your photos, don't turn on Scale to Frame Size. Instead, right-click on the photos on your timeline, select Show Properties to open the Properties panel. Open the Motion properties and set Scale to 75%.)

• 5. Re: Re-Sizing Photos for PE7
                  jcrystal76 Level 1

I right clicked on the photos and selected Scale to Frame size and the photos now look like the original. What did I do wrong, Steve? Will I have to do this to all of my re-sized photos after I put them into the timeline?

• 6. Re: Re-Sizing Photos for PE7

As I said, your video frame is only 720x480 while your photos are 1000x750. (As I say in my books, we recommend having photos that are a bit larger so that you have room to pan and zoom over them.)

If you don't plan to do any panning or zooming, you can go into Premiere Elements' Edit/Preference and check the option to Scale to Frame Size. When this is checked, any new photos you bring into your project will come in already conformed to the size of a video frame. (Note that it will only affect new photos you bring in -- not the photos already in your project.)

But, if you plan to do any panning and zooming around your photos, it's best to use that option uncheck and let the photos come in larger than the video frame.

Scale one of the photos on the timeline, per my instructions above, to 75%. Right-click on it and select Copy -- then select all of the other photos on the timeline (by dragging over them), right-click and select Paste Attributes. This will automatically size all of the photos to 75%, and they'll all fit perfectly in a video frame!

If you want to then do any panning and zooming around the photos, you can just use the motion path technique I describe in the chapter on Keyframing.

• 7. Re: Re-Sizing Photos for PE7
                      jcrystal76 Level 1

Thank you, Steve.