15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 1:36 PM by shooternz

NAS Questions

Jim_Simon Level 8

For reasons I won't go into, my home/office network is no longer up and running.  And I'm getting tired of moving files around via thumb drive.  I want a way for three computers (and any future DLNA devices) which are not and for the time being cannot be connected to each other via any means, to access a common, RAID protected hard drive on the cheap.

Any recommendations?

• 1. Re: NAS Questions
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim, this is condradictory information.

You have 3 computers, A, B and C.

I want a way for three computers (and any future DLNA devices) which are not and for the time being cannot be connected to each other via any means

and possibly a NAS

to access a common, RAID protected hard drive on the cheap.

How do you envisage COMMON when they can not be connected via any means?

You can connect A & NAS, B & NAS or C & NAS, but if there is no way to connect A, B & C, there is no common NAS, unless you mean lugging the NAS from one machine to the other and in that case a thumb drive is a lot easier and even an external drive is more convenient.

Are all computers iSCSI capable? Do they have dual NIC's, or do you have a switch for the NAS? If you can't connect the three computers physically, is wireless an option, or VPN?

NAS brands to have a look at are QNAP and Thecus.

• 2. Re: NAS Questions
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

to simplfy:

NAS= Network attached storage. if your home network is not working then this cant work.

if you have 3 systems the easiest it to turn one into the NAS. (oldest and add a raid card)

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: NAS Questions
              Jim_Simon Level 8

What I want is for each computer to be able to access the common drive, but not talk each other.  Of the three computers, only one is connected to the Internet.  The other two MUST remain disconnected.

NAS.png

• 4. Re: NAS Questions
                shooternz Level 6

Standby for non techy reply.:

I have 4x edit workstations connected to a NAS ( non RAID)  via Cat 6 cabling on a Gigabite switcher.

My NAS drive has three  1 TB drives. (only ever used 1 of them so plenty of spare capacity)

(I can also connect at various ponts in my facilty via any laptops)

Should I choose, I can connect to the internet on any or all of them.

Because I set up the NAS,  I did not properly set up workgroup and I cant really do a puter to puter link.  ie they dont talk to each other

( Fixeable but unnecessary for me)

Basically the NAS the way I have it, is a central storage place.  I have access to it from the computers individually via a Desktop Icon  ( "MediaCentral')

Works great.

• 5. Re: NAS Questions
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Sounds good, shooter.  But at what price?  I need to do this on the cheap.

• 6. Re: NAS Questions
                    shooternz Level 6

Didnt feel it was a very expensive exercise at the time...and it has always paid back in bucket loads since.

Components:

NAS (+ SATA drives of choice)

Gigabyte Switch

a few Cat 6e cables.

Simple and easy to setup ( if I can do it..its simple)

Cant imagine a real cheap or any other way of doing it for media size files.

One day recently I was consolidating a bunch of important media files ( 7Gb)  from one suite that I needed in the new CS5 suite.  It was an opportunity to have them backed up on the NAS as well.

Noticed that upload to NAS was fast but the download to CS5 puter was dragging and taking a very long time. (like 5 times as long).

Problem was new suite by mistake, was not connected with a Cat 6 cable.  Fixed with new $20, 30 metre cable) and  the data  really flew.

Truly showed me the value of a Gigabyte Switcher (and correct fast cables) and the NAS workflow

• 7. Re: NAS Questions
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not really looking to add this to my editing workflow, per se.  I just need a simple, inexpensive way to move the occasional file between computers.  It could be a logo someone emailed me, or a music clip or sound effect I downloaded that I need to go from my Internet rig to my edit rig.  Or maybe a sample clip from the edit rig back over to the Internet rig for uploading to a web site.  The thumb drive method works, but it's a pain in the ***.  I want something connected to all three rigs at the same time to simplify the process.

• 8. Re: NAS Questions
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Simple like this:

Drawing1.jpg

• 9. Re: NAS Questions
                          shooternz Level 6

Harms Diagram represents my set up well.

I created my set up for exactly the same reasons Jim.  I was using Flash Sticks and ext HDDs  previously.

Flash sticks are absolutely fine and probably quicker for simple and small logo type files but anything larger...forget it.

I use the NAS to deliver previews movies via email or to FTP sites etc....  None of my edit workstations are email capable but they are internet connected(but exclusively used for program /updating.  NOTHING else).

I use email from the laptops to deliver from the NAS.

Doubt you will find a better solution.

• 10. Re: NAS Questions
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Simple like this:

Nope.  That won't work.  You have the A and C computers connected to the router, which connects to the Internet.  That's fine for B, but A and C cannot get even the faintest whiff of the outside world.

• 11. Re: NAS Questions
                              shooternz Level 6

You are worrying me Jim.

Whats on A & C thats so "sensitive" ...yet you would plug a flash stick  into them?

Tell me you work for the CIA or something and not doing something illegal here.

• 12. Re: NAS Questions
                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might handle the internet access via a MAC address exclusion.

• 13. Re: NAS Questions
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm afraid that's a bit above my head, Stan.  I'm fairly decent with software and hardware, but networking is most definitely not something I'm good at.  (That's what I really like about Vista and now 7, the SOHO networking stuff just works, no manual configuration needed.  With XP, it was a PITA.)

• 14. Re: NAS Questions
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Tell me you work for the CIA or something and not doing something illegal here.

What's the difference?

Seriously, though.  Here's the deal.  Machines A and C are still running the RC of Win7, while machine B runs Win XP.  Since I had no Internet when the expiration date hit for Win 7 and there was no way for the machines to talk to the outside world, it was a simple matter of changing the Windows clock to 'fool' the OS into thinking the expiration date had not passed yet, and so it kept on working.  But if either rig connects to the outside and finds out what the actual date is, they'll shut down and not even reboot.  I just can't have that.  Both machines will eventually be rebuilt using a final version of Win 7, but I don't want to do the job twice.  So I'm waiting until I can afford some new hardware to go along with the new OS.  That might take another month or two.

In the meantime, both machines MUST remain functional.  In order to guarantee that, they CANNOT talk to the outside world.

So there it is.  I need a simple, affordable way to transfer files between three rigs, one of which is connected to the Internet, the other two of which absolutely can NOT be connected to the Internet.

• 15. Re: NAS Questions
                                      shooternz Level 6

Stay with the flash stick routine until you sort the rest out.