11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 12:04 PM by the_wine_snob

Codec help for Bridge

Curt Y Level 6

I have some videos that are x.avi that have a codec of  h.264/AVC.

These play just fine on Bridge but  I do not get a thumbnail.

With the move to CS5 I was excited that my old .avi  files showed a thumb, but with this codec it does not.

Since I know the codec can one  download it and install (where?) so Bridge can find it?

Windows read  the thumbs.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Codec help for Bridge
          Curt Y Level 6

I pretty much am the Bridge Forum.

• 3. Re: Codec help for Bridge
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I have some videos that are x.avi that have a codec of  h.264/AVC.

These play just fine on Bridge but  I do not get a thumbnail.

With the move to CS5 I was excited that my old .avi  files showed a thumb, but with this codec it does not.

Since I know the codec can one  download it and install (where?) so Bridge can find it?

Windows read  the thumbs.

Thanks.

Sounds familiar

• 4. Re: Codec help for Bridge
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That made me laugh!  Welcome to Premiere Forums; I hope someone can help.

There are several Adobe folk who prowl the halls; perhaps one of them can help.

• 5. Re: Codec help for Bridge
                Curt Y Level 6

Where is Bill Hunt when you need him?    

• 6. Re: Codec help for Bridge
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Definitely awol.

I think this is one for one of the Adobe experts.  I've never seen any posts on this topic.

Anyway, I bid 3 no trump till Bill reappears.

• 7. Re: Codec help for Bridge
                    Mortimer IOU Level 2

Last I heard Hunt was exploring ways to get some of the 230-year-old champagne found recently at the bottom of the Baltic.

• 8. Re: Codec help for Bridge
                      Curt Y Level 6

Bill,

Word on the street is "Last I heard Hunt was exploring ways to get some of the 230-year-old champagne found recently at the bottom of the Baltic."

I see you are back and if could find the champagne wonder if you could find the answer to this question.

Sent a PM to one of the Bridge Staff members, but no response yet.

• 9. Re: Codec help for Bridge
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, he was off in the Smoky Mountains, exploring the food of The Smoky Mountain Table, and drinking the wines from Staglin. Hey, Jerry.K said that I could go on vacation...

As far as Bridge finding and using a CODEC, this is always at the system level first. If they are properly installed, they usually work in Bridge, though not always. There can be more issues, when one goes to edit, as an NLE (Non Linear Editor) may, or may not work with a particular CODEC. This ARTICLE will give you a little general background.

Now, there can be different versions of various CODEC's. With H.264, there are at least three very popular and common ones: Apple's, Lead's and MainConcept's. Some have better luck with the latter two, over Apple's, though that is mostly in Export. In those cases, the users have just purchased, downloaded and installed the Lead, or the MainConcept version.

In programs, similar to Bridge, like PrElements' Organizer, many have had mixed results with thumbnails and even playback of H.264 material. Also, there can be additional variations, like AVCHD, and AVCHD-Lite, which use H.264. Sometimes, those files just do not display the thumbs properly, and sometimes do not play. I have had good luck with a similar non-Adobe program, ThumbsPlus (up to version 8 now), as it does a better job, with more file types/CODEC's, than does my older Bridge. However, I do not use much H.264 (except for some MOV wrappers with H.264), and no AVCHD versions, so cannot comment on how well, or how poorly, it might function.

Wish that I had a definitive answer, and steps to get all AV files to display and playback properly in Bridge (or any similar program), but I do not.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Ann Bens has offered a lot of good tips on Bridge, and might have something really useful for you.

PPS - if you are doing any video editing, especially with Adobe programs, resist the temptation to download and install any CODEC pack, especially if it contains FFDShow. If you are NOT doing video editing, then, and only then, FFDShow might prove helpful. It will, however, really mess up PrPro, or PrE in most cases, but might work for a non-video editing machine. Be sure to do a manual System Restore Point, prior to installing it, as one never knows when they might have to roll back.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: Codec help for Bridge
                          Curt Y Level 6

Bill,

As always you give really good, comprehensive answers.  Thanks for all the info and will investigate it further.

• 11. Re: Codec help for Bridge
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

As the info and suggestions pour in, please share them in this thread, if they do not come from here, as the thumbnails and playability have been issues for many, depending on their source files. The more possibilities and cures that one has, the better.

The thumbnail display issue is not endemic to Bridge, and also not endemic to H.264. I have some pretty "plain vanilla" MPEG files (mostly MPEG-1, but also some MPEG-2) that do not display properly in any of my organizer programs. Probably situations that are unique to each of those files. Sometimes, the magic works, but sometimes, it does not.

Good luck,

Hunt