7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 10:48 AM by 2m

Is there a limit to MC nesting?

tom_servo3000

I'm trying to access a particular movie clip that's buried about 4 layers deep inside other movie clips.  I have a an on release event handler attached to it but it doesn't respond.  I double-checked my syntax and there are no errors.  Is there a nesting limit when it comes to mc addressing?

-David

• 1. Re: Is there a limit to MC nesting?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

there's a limit but you're not close to it.

do you have any mouse listeners attached to or referencing a parent?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a limit to MC nesting?
            tom_servo3000 Level 1

OK, for the moment, I've stopped trying to figure out why I can't communicate with my buried MC from the main timeline.  I've decided to attach the actionscript to the mc itself (I know, this is bad practice but my goal is to get this working first, then i'll worry about code etiquette).

on (release) {

_root.attachMovie("videoHolder","mc_videoHolder",_root.getNextHighestDepth());

var ncConnection:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
                ncConnection.connect(null);
                var nsStream:NetStream = new NetStream;
                nsStream = new NetStream(ncConnection);
                mc_videoHolder.vMyVideo.attachVideo(nsStream);
                nsStream.play("MyVideo.flv");

}

The problem now is with the attachMovie() method.  The way it's set up now, I can hear the FLV's audio but I can't see the video anywhere--even after messing with the x and y coords.

If I change that line of code to this.attachMovie("videoHolder","mc_videoHolder",_root.getNextHighestDepth());, I can see the video, but it basically replaces the MC that I clicked on to launch it, and is only as large as the MCs size.  Am I not targeting the main timeline correctly using _root?

• 3. Re: Is there a limit to MC nesting?

use:

on (release) {

_root.attachMovie("videoHolder","mc_videoHolder",_root.getNextHighestDepth());

var ncConnection:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
                  ncConnection.connect(null);
                  var nsStream:NetStream = new NetStream;
                  nsStream = new NetStream(ncConnection);
                  _root.mc_videoHolder.vMyVideo.attachVideo(nsStream);
                  nsStream.play("MyVideo.flv");

}

• 4. Re: Is there a limit to MC nesting?
                tom_servo3000 Level 1

kglad, u rock!  Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Is there a limit to MC nesting?

you're welcome.

• 6. Re: Is there a limit to MC nesting?
                    tom_servo3000 Level 1

I realized what my earlier addressing problem was.  It may or may not be of use to someone else, but just in case:

There was a motion tween that had been created already using a symbol with no instance name.  All the animation really did was change the size of the symbol from tiny to big.  I had selected the big version of that symbol (at the end of the tween) and gave 'that' an instance name.  I later realized that a symbol needs to be given an instance name "before" using it in any motion tweening in order for it to respond to AS addressing later.

Either this was a really basic thing that I missed reading about sometime earlier or I'm effortlessly clever at creating strange and unique problems for myself.

• 7. Re: Is there a limit to MC nesting?
                      2m Level 2

Aside from having had similar problems in the past myself, I somtimes teach newbies a little Flash, and the problem you had occurs all the time. So I have to disappoint you, if your looking for a field where you are uniquely brilliant and singular, "creating hard to spot Flash-problems" might just not be it - not yet! :-)

M