3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2010 6:47 AM by JAYNEG2

How to produce a cut out?

JAYNEG2

As a newbie to Illustrator I'm having a problem trying to work out how to produce a rectangle with a curved cut out as per this image. The cut out portion needs to be transparent for me use as a picture overlay. Could someone please advise what I am sure is a simple procedure?

Img08.gif Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to produce a cut out?
          Paul Cracknell Level 3

Hi Jayne,

Here's a couple of options for you

Option 1

1. Draw your rectangle

2. Choose the pen tool and click on the rectangle centre left, this will add a new point

3. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard nudge the new point to the right

4. Clicking on and holding on the pen tool in the tools panel will reveal the Convert Anchor Point tool, choosing this and dragging in a vertical direction over your new point will convert it to a curved point.

Option 2

1. Draw your rectangle

2. Draw an oval over top that represents the curved area to be cut out

3. Open the Pathfinder Panel (Window > Pathfinder)

4. With both rectangle and oval selected choose Minus Front from the Pathfinder panel

Hope that helps

Paul

• 2. Re: How to produce a cut out?
            shunithD Level 3

JAYNEG2 wrote:

As a newbie to Illustrator I'm having a problem trying to work out how to produce a rectangle with a curved cut out as per this image. The cut out portion needs to be transparent for me use as a picture overlay. Could someone please advise what I am sure is a simple procedure?

You need to select the object and save as a gif or png file. Jpg does not support transparency. Hope that's what you were asking about?

• 3. Re: How to produce a cut out?
              JAYNEG2 Level 1

Thanks for the responses guys. Paul, that was just what I was looking for.