15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 3:03 PM by the_wine_snob

VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5

hamst3r

Hi!

I use a set of VST plugins by Voxengo with 32-bit CS4. I recently upgraded to 64-bit CS5. So, I went and snagged the 64-bit versions of these Voxengo plugins. I put them in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins\.

Here's the info in the Plugin Loading.log file:

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins\Elephant.dll
      Loading from the registry...
      The plugin was successfully loaded from the registry.

Yet, the plugins do not show up in the mixer or in the effects list.

I do not get any error messages. Also, I'm using Vista.

Any ideas?

If you'd like to try the plugins yourself, there are free trials here:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/elephant/

http://www.voxengo.com/product/glisseq/

Thanks!

- Jamez

• 1. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
          Gillissie Level 1

All I know is that plugins will only show up if they are 64-bit. I have been dealing with this with a favorite plugin that was only 32-bit

until I contacted the developer and he created a 64-bit version. I can confirm that the 64-bit version does show up in Premiere now. Are you 100% certain that you

are putting the 64-bit versions in that folder?

• 2. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
            hamst3r Level 1

Hi, thanks for the response.

Yup, I'm certain that these are the 64-bit versions. I redownloaded them a few times and compared file sizes just to make sure.

• 3. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
              SFL46 Level 3

Do the 32-bit and 63 bit pluggins have the same file names?  Is the 32-bit versions in a different directory that may be read first by PrPro when setting up the pluggin list?  A lot of pluggings go in the media core directory.

• 4. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                hamst3r Level 1

Hi!

Yes, the 32-bit and 64-bit versions share the same filename. I renamed the dlls to Elephant2.dll and GlissEQ2.dll and the plugin loading.log  sees the new name but I get the same result.

I located the MediaCore folder under common and these VST dlls do not appear in it.

I don't think it's loading the 32-bit plugin from another directory first as the only thing listed in the plugin loading.log is the 64-bit plugin in the CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins\ directory.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

• 5. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                  thenoisystuff Level 1

I suggest you un-install the plug-in completely using the native uninstaller. Then use a utility like http://www.revouninstaller.com/ to completely nuke your system for vestiges of the software (dlls etc that can be left behind)  You can get a 30 day trial before / if you purchase.

Then re-boot, then install the 64 bit versions.   Never underestimate Windows' ability to hoard unwanted files that will get in the way.

• 6. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                    hamst3r Level 1

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

These particular plugins don't have any sort of installer, they are simply dll files; one per plugin.

Try out the free trial of one of the plugins and see if CS5 recognizes them on your system. If they don't work for you, then I'll know it's not something silly on my end and I'll contact the plugin developer to see if he can resolve the problem.

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                      Gillissie Level 1

I tried the Elephant plugin with the same results as you. Out of curiosity I also tried using the 64-bit version in Acid Pro 7 (32-bit host) to make sure it didn't work in there either, which it didn't. Then I tested the 32-bit version in Acid Pro and it worked. So I'm thinking that the dev didn't do something right with the 64-bit version.

Since Elephant is a compressor/limiter and costs a whopping $129.95, I'd like to direct you to my favorite compressor/limiter named TripleComp. It's a multi-band compressor. By my suggestion, the dev recently made a 64-bit version so I could use it in Premiere, and it's only $45 to register. The best thing about it is that you can visually see the waveform as you make your adjustments, so you know exactly how much compression and limiting you're going to get without much trial and error. It's extremely intuitive. http://www.sinusweb.de/triple.html Tell him I referred you if you decide to get it. I'm sure he would appreciate the referral since he just converted it to 64-bit for me for free.

• 8. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                        hamst3r Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions, Gillissie.

The thing is, the plugins DO work in 64-bit audio hosts like Cubase and Reaper.

I contacted the developer anyways and he basically said that it's an Adobe issue as the plugins work in the 64-bit audio programs he uses.

Do Adobe folks monitor these boards or is there some way for me to submit a support ticket more directly?

Thanks for the help so far!

• 9. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

We do have several Adobe employees, who monitor the forum, but to provide direct assistance, and not to gather issues and requests.

That is most effectively handled via the Feature Request/Bug Report form. Adobe does read those and will act, as they deem appropriate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                            Mister_L

Hi!

At our company, we tried several commercial 64 Bit VST-Plugins. Not a single one was working in Premiere CS5...

That is really a pain for us, because we essentially need VST-PlugIns inside Premiere for our work.

Any news on that from Adobe?

Gavin

• 11. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                              Another Photographer Level 1

I tried the 8 free Voxengo plugins in Premiere CS5, all of them 64bit and they did not show up.  Curiously enough, these 8 plugins are listed at ehe Adobe websiste  here: http://www.adobe.com/products/plugins/premiere/.

I tried the 32bit versions with Soundbooth CS5 (which is a a 32bit app) and they did not show up there either.

• 12. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                                Annabella Uio

I also can not get the Voxengo 64-bit pluggins to load in CS5.  But some simple 64-bit pluggins I coded myself do load.  Very strange.

From the Plugin loading log:

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins\Landrew\Mono Downmix  [v0.10].dll
                                The registry tells us to cache so the plugin will be loaded from the cache.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins\Voxengo\OvertoneGEQ.dll

The registry tells us to cache so the plugin will be loaded from the cache.

The first one is mine and works fine.  The second is from Voxengo and doesn't show up.

• 13. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When you first launched PrPro, after installing the Voxengo VST's, did you get any error messages? If so, those only appear the first time, but can contain some useful info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                                    Annabella Uio Level 1

No error messages.  At least no popups.  I didn't check the log on first install.

I just remembered that I had to set the "Character Set" to "Not Set" instead of "Unicode" in the build parameters in Visual C++ for my own VSTs to get them to work in Premiere CS5.  Didn't have to do that for CS3.  So prehaps that's what has changed, rendering some VSTs broken?  Just guessing here...

• 15. Re: VST Plugins work in CS4, not in CS5
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that error message is a pop-up, but sticks around to read. It will (or would in earlier versions) only show the first time that PrPro is launched, after the problem VST is installed. It basically says, "PrPro cannot use VST ______, but will load it anyway... " After that first message, one will not see it again, and PrPro will continue to load that/those VST(s), but they will not be accessible by PrPro. In my case, the first one was SampleTank2.dll. It now just loads, but cannot be used. Had I missed that one-time message, I might have gone looking for it, though probably not, as it is used by several of my Magix audio programs, and I'd not have even though about using it, in any way, in PrPro.

Now, someone else will have to tell you if CS5 has dispensed with that one-time message for VST's that PrPro cannot use.

Good luck,

Hunt