11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2010 10:29 AM by pixlor

Transparent slice

molfars

Hi there. All the time using Fireworks I wonder to resolve the described problem. This is an example of a PNG file http://rapidshare.com/files/407565846/sample.zip. You'll see there 5 slices. How can I export slices top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-tight as PNG-24 with transparent background without striped background layer simultaneously with exporting slice background as a rectangle filled with green stripes. I know that I can separately hide layers and export slices by groups. But working with really huge layouts it is too difficult to show/hide couple layers and export images one by one. Does Fireworks have any futures to resolve this problem?

• 1. Re: Transparent slice
          Junaid Atari Level 1

Thank you so much for your email, Jony will read email when come online.

Thanks and its automated system, thats why you got message.

Thanks again, Thanks.

Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari!

• 2. Re: Transparent slice
            Linda Nicholls Level 4

Fireworks has no transparent PNG 24. It has to be either PNG 8 or PNG 32. To export the slices you want simultaneously with a striped background image, you need to think outside the box and simply create a seperate background image on the canvas and give it its own slice. Export the images and add them to your HTML page in Dreamweaver. Alternatively, put them on seperate Pages.

• 3. Re: Transparent slice
              Junaid Atari Level 1

Thanks again, Thanks.

• 4. Re: Transparent slice
                pixlor Level 4

As Linda said, there is no transparent PNG24. If you have 24 bits of color information, that is 8 bits each for red, green, and blue. Eight bits give you 256 colors. It's the 32-bit PNG that gives you the additional 8 bits for 256 levels of transparency for each pixel. The other option is the indexed PNG8, which has 256 colors in total, but that collection of colors can include multiple semi-transparent values. In comparison, the GIF format, which is also an indexed 8-bit/256 color format supports only one fully-transparent value.

As for having Fireworks automatically producing a background image and a foreground image from one slice... There is no way for Fireworks to "know" which elements are foreground and which elements are background. (Computer programs can't read our minds...thank goodness!) Consequently, you must set up your document or make your exports in such a way that you determine your background images and foreground images.

• 5. Re: Transparent slice
                  Junaid Atari Level 1

Thanks again, Thanks.

• 6. Re: Transparent slice
                    molfars Level 1

It doesnt matter for me PNG 24 or 32. The basic problem is the layers order. I dont understand, why cant I put a custom slice among common layers? I think i could solve the problem, didnt it?

• 7. Re: Transparent slice
                      Junaid Atari Level 1

Thanks again, Thanks.

• 8. Re: Transparent slice
                        pixlor Level 4

The Web layer, where you define slices, is its own layer and the slices simply capture what's below it. There's no concept of setting slices to be active for layers you may have defined. The slices are defined for your document (or page) and they capture what's visible.

I usually put my background elements on one layer and different foreground elements on other layers. That way, I can turn off the visibility of my background if I need a foreground image with a transparent background and I can turn off all my foreground elements to export any background slices.

As Linda suggests, you can always make a separate pages with your background and foreground elements. But then, it wouldn't look quite the same.

• 9. Re: Transparent slice
                          Junaid Atari Level 1

Thanks again, Thanks.

• 10. Re: Transparent slice
                            pixlor Level 4

(Ugh, can't edit.)

With the particular image you have, though, your slice for your stripped background does not need to be where it is. Simply increase either the height or width of your document and put your background slice someplace else. Given that you need to have the curved corners anti-aliased, and that you want your pattern to show up in the corners, you do need a transparent image. The PNG24 format will not work for you. You can't export stripped corners on your white, rounded rectangle, and expect the stripes on the corners to line up with the background stripes.

Here's one path you could take:

Use a transparent canvas for your document.

Expand your document (height, probably) and put your pattern slice someplace else (such as below your white rectangle). Consider making that area the only part of your document with the stripes.

Use the PNG8 format for your rounded rectangle slices. Advantage is smaller file size and good transparency. Use File>Image Preview to set parameters and possibly add additional values.

• 11. Re: Transparent slice
                              Junaid Atari Level 1

Thanks again, Thanks.