7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 5:18 AM by Crellin Sound

Flash Frame Sizes in YouTube

Crellin Sound Level 1

Hello There,

I’m back in video after a decade long absence and I’m completely new to YouTube because I’ve been living on a continent that rarely even has Internet.  I’ve got some old footage I need to put on YouTube, but YouTube’s specs are a bit contradictory at times.

Starting from the get go, I have several questions and I hope you can point me in the right direction.  It sounds like an FLV file is what I should go for, so I’ll base my questions on that.  Don’t hesitate to answer between the lines.  And don’t hesitate to tell me to change tracks.

The most clear export I can make from my old Avid editing program is an uncompressed QuickTime movie.  I can’t find anything in the YouTube specs about QuickTime moives.  They don’t say they’re good.  They don’t say they’re bad.  Can I convert to an FLV file and upload to YouTube with good results?

When I export non-HD material from my editing program, what frame size do I export?

When I convert to an FLV file, what size do I re-size to?  Or does YouTube resize whatever I send to them to the right size?

When I convert to an FLV file, what’s a reasonable bitrate for video?  How about audio?

Or do I even need to bother with the above?  In one YouTube information sheet, it sounded like I could just upload a plain old MPEG2 file and YouTube would go from there.  Correct or not?

What’s the benefit of an alpha channel?  It seems like the files get smaller, but I can’t get them to play at all after I’ve ticked alpha.

If anyone needs the information, I’m using Avid Xpress Pro 4.3 and have access to both AVS and TMPG 3 for MPEG conversion.  My computer has plenty of horsepower.

And I'm using CS3 from Adobe.

Thanks beforehand for your help.

CS