4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 7:28 PM by BTEKS

Webpage Table Search Help

BTEKS

I have a table in my MYSQL Database that have 1063 listings and will get larger “ http://www.bbandn.com/Beauty.php ”.  The Table record set is currently sorted in alphabetical order, ascending, by Beauty Salon Name.  I want to make the search much easier for visitors by offering some type of “name base search capability” or search based on alphabet selection, i.e., “a, b, c, d, etc..” or perhaps even by state, city then business name. 

I realize that I can create a record set for each letter and link the letter to a separate page, but, I was wondering if there is an easier way of doing this?  I use CS4. 

• 1. Re: Webpage Table Search Help
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I was wondering if there is an easier way of doing this?

Sure there is - by doing it natively in SQL and PHP, which means you must hand-craft code (or at least modify an existing example). That's way beyond what DW can provide with its standard recordset stuff and if you have no clue, then leave it be and hire someone who really understands PHP/ SQL before making a mess...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Webpage Table Search Help
            BTEKS Level 1

Thank you for the input. I concluded that DW4 wasn’t capable of providing that degree of sorting, but, I wanted to be sure, so I posed the question. 

I’m familiar with SQL and I am currently learning Java, so, somewhere in the future I will be able to do it myself.  However, I will have to hire someone to get this functionality operational now because I have a timeline to meet.

Thanks for your help.  This issue is resolved.

fmb

• 3. Re: Webpage Table Search Help
              MurraySummers Level 8

Hopefully, you are learning javascript not java.

Anyhow, you can pretty easily do what you want in just server-scripting and SQL.

When you click on a letter, you can pass that letter to the script as a url variable.  Then the script can select all records that are LIKE the letter plus a wildcard, e.g.,

SELECT * FROM whatever WHERE record LIKE 'A%' (assuming 'A' is the letter you clicked).

Would that work?

• 4. Re: Webpage Table Search Help
                BTEKS Level 1

Sure,

that would work, however, based on future projections, the ultimate goal will be

to have a database search capability that independently search the database

based on 3 criteria, bizz name, state and city.  By submitting one or all

criteria, the table will display the results.  This will narrow the window down

to an acceptable number such that the table will not require many "next" clicks

to see all the listings based on the search criteria.

I will have to either learn myself or pay someone.  Time is my factor.  The

response that you provided will last 6 months at best. 

My intentions is to learn Java and Java Script, eventually.

fmb

Be Successful Every Day

BTEKS

BATISTE TECHNICAL SERVICES LLC

P.O. Box 1418

Jacksonville N.C. 28540-1418

910-353-5931

910-340-7744 Mobile

bts.felton@yahoo.com

batiste.f@bteks.com