21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 2:29 PM by sotorious

Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970

sotorious

Well i was using premeire today and 2 mins in my computer shut off with no warning. Turned it back on then it frooze had to turn it off, 3rd time driver display stopped working and then  i had to send task it. What gives? Is it because it is trying to use the GPU accelration and ati does not support it so it just keeps crashing?

I am on

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Intel i7 920

6gb of ram. corsiar dominators 1600mhz

750w psu corsair

I can assure you my machine is stable as a rock.

Also at the beggining when you start a new project and it shows you where it is going to save all that stuff i had moved that folder to an empty hard drive, as i didnt want it taking up room on my ssd.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

sotorious wrote:

Is it because it is trying to use the GPU accelration and ati does not support it so it just keeps crashing?

No, your system is not trying to use GPU acceleration.  For a computer to shut down (if the power truely turned off) sounds like some thing failed on the motherboard or power supply.  Have you changed any hardware recently?

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
            sotorious Level 1

Nope But after i turned it back on everytime i opened premiere again it would just freeze. I been gaming like a mad man all day today and everything is fine after that.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
              sotorious Level 1

bump... also it is not installed on the same drive my os is installed on if that makes a difference.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                Stefan Rommel

Hmm, sounds like a hardware problem. Maybe PPCS5 consumes some more CPU load. What happens when using other high demanding software. Perhaps you can simply try prime95 for example. If that also freezes I´m sure your system is not stable. You may try another power supply. Had the same problem some time ago on an Q6600. New strong power supply, problems gone. Power supplies also ago by time (capacitors...).

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  also it is not installed on the same drive my os is installed on if that makes a difference.

Most Adobe program really, really want to be installed on C:\. The folder does not matter, but for most of the apps. C:\ is important.

I also agree that a systemic shutdown first indicates a hardware issue. In general, they shake out like this:

1.) heat

2.) RAM

3.) PSU

4.) MoBo

5.) other cards

I'd check out each of those to rule them out first. This ARTICLE will point you to some useful tools for checking out HW issues.

If all checks out, then this ARTICLE might give you some tips on finding clues as to what is happening on your system at the time of the crashes.

Though you mention ATI, you also mention "gaming." Going back a bit, several nVidia video drivers had issues with some "gamer-only" modules, and Adobe software. Do not recall any mention of similar with ATI/AMD cards and drivers, but you might want to check all modules and settings in your Catalyst console.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                    sotorious Level 1

All that is good. Prime 95 runs 24 hours stable i know for a fact. everything is ok because i game all day. leave my pc on all day and night. Never has turned off since i popped open that program.

psu has plenty of juice with some left over 750 corsair. Ive also ran memtest 86 multiple times. Temps are under control.

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm assuming your RAM is running overclocked at 1600MHz, and comes stock at something like 1200MHz. I've run into a similar issue, where the computer will freeze seemingly at random--but it only happens when I'm in Premiere or, more often, when I'm encoding from AME. The only way I can get any productive work done is to turn my RAM down to 1200MHz (basically, set everything to "Auto" in the BIOS). I ran all kinds of memory tests and other system-punishing tests with the RAM overclocked, and it never froze; with Premiere, I can get my system to look in seconds.

I'm running a different brand of RAM than you (OCZ), so I don't think this is a manufacturer issue, necessarily. You're the first person I've heard having a similar problem; is your computer turning off, or is it just freezing, forcing a hard reboot? I hesitate to call this a "bug" because of the hardware nature of the issue, but it is interesting that at least one other person is having similar issues.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                        sotorious Level 1

Yes my ram is running at 1523. it normally runs at 1066. First time i ever cranked adobe up it just rebooted on its own, this is when i was adding videos in. Second time it just frooze, along with the third time. I tried out sony vegas and i had no problems there.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try either with a lower BCLK than 190 or a higher DRAM bus voltage and a higher QPI/DRAM Core voltage.

What are they currently and what is the BSOD error code? 124?

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                            sotorious Level 1

There is no BSOD errors they were just hard locks, and that one time it just turned off. Thats why i thought it may have been the 5970.

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

sotorious wrote:

There is no BSOD errors they were just hard locks, and that one time it just turned off.

My experience has been the same: no BSODs or application error message. Additionally, nothing is recorded in the Windows Event Viewer beyond something that's written after the reboot, that says, "The system experienced an unexpected restart." Really? Hadn't noticed...

Set your RAM back to detent for awhile, and see what happens. I can run for days on end, editing and encoding, with RAM at Auto for all settings. However, if I try to run at the rated OC speed, and change any of the default settings, I'm on the last train to Crashville. What's odd is I can run the system-punishing tests for 24 hours with the OC'ed settings, and not have a single hang or error--but a few moments in Premiere, and it's curtains.

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                sotorious Level 1

Hmm so it must have a little to do with adobe. I will give it a shot. I do need to reinstall again and see. I might be getting a laptop soon as well. So i can keep my applications on that and keep my main pc just for gaming.

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                  I might be getting a laptop soon as well. So i can keep my applications on that and keep my main pc just for gaming.

So where will you keep your editing machine? I hope on a separate desktop.

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, not necessarily. That would be the "simple" answer--and it may be the right one--but I'm more inclined to say that it's because Premiere is more demanding of the RAM in your system, and anything that's not 100% in sync is going to cause your computer to throw a wheel. Many other folks are running Premiere and other Adobe apps with overclocked RAM/systems and are not having these kind of issues, so it's more likely they're isolated to incompatible RAM timings or other settings.

However, if this IS a bug, I think it's vital to figure out what is causing it to trigger, and then meaningful information can be submitted to the engineers so they can locate the issue and fix it. It's really hard to pinpoint, though, if it's not reproducible on every system, or even more than a few of them.

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                      sotorious Level 1

That is true. I know it uses the ram. But you would think something like memtest would use it just as much. Only other way to find out is to put all my values to normal. With that at that my ram timings are off to not at the specs. Also to see if its not on the C: drive that can be another possiblity.

• 16. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

But you would think something like memtest would use it just as much.

That was my original thinking--why would the computer survive that for hours on end, when Premiere causes it to take a powder in seconds? Surely MemTest is more intensive than Premiere! Well, there's a difference between testing RAM and utilizing it. My guess is that since Premiere CS5 is designed to grab as much RAM as it can when on a 64-bit platform, that it can get a little floppy once you're trying to squeeze more performance out of the RAM. Run it where it's specced, and you're good; turn the knobs to 11, and things get a little more dicey.

• 17. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                          sotorious Level 1

I got you. I was wondering do you have yours on your C: drive?

Also i will try it. But im still convinced it has something to do with a mixture of the program. Because I am sure Sony Vegas uses just as much ram. Now how they use it i have no idea. Also a game like bad company 2, uses up to 2gigs or more ram. This is just speculation.

• 18. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                                            I was wondering do you have yours on your C: drive?

I don't follow you. Do you mean applications, or projects/media? If the former, yes; if the latter, heck no. OS and apps are on C: (WD 150GB Velociraptor), Projects and some materials on D: (Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM SATAII), media on E: (4x Samsung F3 1TB as RAID 5). You don't need a setup like that (and mine is seriously middle of the road), but getting projects and media off the system drive is a must. Period.

But im still convinced it has something to do with a mixture of the program. Because I am sure Sony Vegas uses just as much ram. Now how they use it i have no idea. Also a game like bad company 2, uses up to 2gigs or more ram. This is just speculation.

Well, I've had AME using up to 8GB of my installed 12GB of RAM, so the Adobe apps (the 64-bit ones, anyway) will eat as much RAM as you feed them. I'm not saying that Premiere isn't the instigator of the crash/lock--I think it is, on the other hand. However, I don't think it's the cause of the lock-up, but is instead due to it requiring more specific and stable functionality out of the RAM you have. I run CS5 on my laptop with 4GB of RAM, and never had any kind of issue there; on my desktop where I'm pushing performance as far as I can, that's where I get things to fall over.

• 19. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                              sotorious Level 1

Alright i go you.

Also what i ment was do you have the actual application installed on C:/

• 20. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Also what i ment was do you have the actual application installed on C:/

Yes; any and all executables are installed on the C: (system) drive. Beyond that, it doesn't do a whole heckuva lot.

• 21. Re: Adobe Premiere CS5 ATI 5970
                                                  sotorious Level 1

Thats one thing i dont want to do is install it on my C since it is an SSD. I dont see why that should be a problem though,