9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 2:17 AM by animationlife

what is the best setting for Canon 5D

animationlife Level 1

One of my Cameras are Canon 5D, which shoots At: 1920 1080 Full Frame.what is the best setting to start a new project inside Premiere Pro CS5.

Inside New Sequence Setting i looked at the HDV, and there is no 1920 X 1080. Here is the Screen shot.

Also with my Canon XHA1s I can shoot at: 1440 X 1080, 30 fps,  and I use the HDV 1080p30. please look at the screen shots, and let me know

Thanks

Simon.

Here is the whole HDV setting, I dont see any 1920 X 1080

HDV setting.JPG

Here is the HDV setting for 1440 X 1080

HDV 1440 setting.JPG

• 1. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
          Powered by Design Level 4

Just drag your footage to the New Item icon and it will create the correct footage for whatever footage you are editing.

New-Item.jpg

GLenn

• 2. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
            animationlife Level 1

Mr.Glenn

Thank you very much.

Simon.

• 3. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Just drag your footage to the New Item icon and it will create the correct footage for whatever footage you are editing.

I'm finding that this doesn't always work "correctly." It will create a sequence that matches most of the parameters, but it tends to use Desktop editing mode instead of the relevant editing mode for the particular format you're using. For instance, dropping a QuickTime DV MOV (this is on Windows) onto the New Item button results in a sequence with the right frame size, frame rate, and audio settings, but it selects Desktop editing mode and I-Frame MPEG as the preview codec. The result is a yellow render bar over the footage in the sequence. If I create a sequence using the DV NTSC 48kHz preset, there is no render bar. I'm not saying this feature is without any merit, because it is useful in some circumstances, but I think it's worth a double-check to make sure it's doing what it should.

That all said, there are already DSLR sequence presets included with CS5 that are designed for use with that sort of footage:

dslr.PNG

Using one of those that most closely matches your footage will likely provide the best results.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
                Powered by Design Level 4

Good to know.

Thanks Colin.

Glenn

• 5. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
                  animationlife Level 1

Mr. Collin.

So which setting do you recommend for  Canon 5D,, 1920 X 1080 30 fps ..

And Also, Canon XHA1s 1440 X 1080 30 fps.

Thanks

Simon

• 6. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Not having a DSLR or any footage to play with, that's a hard question for me to answer. Is your 5D shooting at 29.97p or 30p? I know there was a firmware update to enable 29.97p recently, so what sequence preset you use will be dictated by the nature of your footage; that's why you have the choice of "DSLR 1080p30" and "DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97." Just pick the one that matches the timebase of your footage.

For HDV, assuming your video is interlaced, you want "HDV 1080i30 (60i)." If it's progressive (which I don't think it is, since it's a Canon) you'd use "HDV 1080p30."

Now, are you trying to mix these two footage types in one timeline?

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
                      animationlife Level 1

Mr. Collin.

Thank you very much for your reply.

The Canon 5D shoots at: 1920 X 1080 30 fps. "" I heard 29.97 and 30 fps are same is this true"" ?

Canon XHA1s Shoots At: 29.97 fps..

I do have many footage from Both camera's that i like to mix. How can that be done.

How can I know If  my video is Interlaced, Or Progressive ?

Mr. Glen said, If you Drag your Movie into the New Item Icon. It will Automatically adjusts your resolutions.

Ok, Here is what I did I created a new Testing  Projects, and I Imported my Movie In the Project.

Notice: The MVI_1848.MOV is 23.976 fps, and my Movie is 30 fps.

Later I created a new project and I did choose, 1080i 30 fps and Booth the Sequence and the movie fps matches.

I think you can not just Drag the new project into the New Item Icon. Offcourse it dose match your video screen with your Movie, But it seems like the fps dose not match. Am I Right ?

Here are the screen shots from My Premiere Pro CS5 Project Shots:

Canon 5D Setting With opening a new project:

Canon 5D Setting.JPG

Canon 5D with DSLR 1080p30 Project

DSLR 1080i Setting.JPG

Canon XHA1S with HDV 1080 29.97 (60i)  New project:

29 setting.JPG

• 8. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        The Canon 5D shoots at: 1920 X 1080 30 fps. "" I heard 29.97 and 30 fps are same is this true"" ?

No. Oftentimes, you'll hear 29.97 referred to as a 30p--because it's a lot easier to say "thirty p" than it is to say "twenty nine point nine seven p"--but there is an important technical difference. You might want to read about "SMPTE time code" to learn a little more. Suffice to say, both 30p and 29.97p have the same number of frame per second; however, the way frames are labeled is different. Specifically, 30p is employing what is called "non-drop frame time code" whereas 29.97p is using "drop frame time code." Drop frame TC is an unfortunate and unwitting by-product from the era when television went color, and we've suffered with it ever since.

In any event, the 5DMII originally recorded only 30p, but a firmware update changed that to 29.97p, and also added 25p and 23.976p (commonly called "24p"). I'm guessing that, since your clips are read as "30.00fps" in Premiere, that you haven't done the firmware update. So, your footage is what it is now. It's not unworkable, but it makes matching it with other footage a bit more challenging.

I do have many footage from Both camera's that i like to mix. How can that be done.

How can I know If  my video is Interlaced, Or Progressive ?

Just pick the sequence setting that is closest to both footage types. Unfortunately, there's a pretty great divide between your source footage. The 5D footage is 30fps progressive (hence, "30p"), whereas your XHA1 footage is 29.97fps interlaced (hence, "60i"). If you're going to mix these in the same sequence, I'd suggest using the HDV sequence preset that matches your XHA1 footage. The 5D footage is going to have a red render bar, but that's unavoidable, because the frame rate will be converted, and the scanning will be converted from progressive to interlaced. The footage is going to look different, no matter what.

Ok, Here is what I did I created a new Testing  Projects, and I Imported my Movie In the Project.

Notice: The MVI_1848.MOV is 23.976 fps, and my Movie is 30 fps.

Later I created a new project and I did choose, 1080i 30 fps and Booth the Sequence and the movie fps matches.

I think you can not just Drag the new project into the New Item Icon. Offcourse it dose match your video screen with your Movie, But it seems like the fps dose not match. Am I Right ?

Something is not making sense between your explanation and your screenshots. Your video file, "MVI_1848.MOV," is 30.00fps as reported by Premiere--I'm sure this is correct. I'm assuming the sequence called "MVI_1848.MOV" is the one that was automatically created when you dropped the clip on the New Item icon... correct? If so, what's the problem? The frame rate matches the footage, so all is good. What is the sequence called "Sequence 01?" Are these two different projects? I'm guessing that that is a sequence you created manually, as Premiere's automatic sequence naming scheme calls the first sequence created "Sequence 01" followed by "Sequence 02" and so on. I can see that the frame rate of Sequence 01 in the first screenshot is 23.976... OK. What are we looking at here?

If you can explain what you did, and what you think you're seeing, I might be able to offer some other suggestions--but I guess I don't know what the question is!

• 9. Re: what is the best setting for Canon 5D
                          animationlife Level 1

Mr. Colin.

thank you very much.. I just created a Test Project, only to see how the fps looks like, That is why I did not named the Sequences. I created different Test projects, and i used the Drag to the New Item Icon,  to see if the project matches or not. Later i realized it dose match with the correct project, Not with Drag it into the New Icon Item. I was just making Test projects.

Now, for shooting with My Canon XHA1s which is shooting at: 1440 X 1080 , I have a choice of shooting at 24, 30, 60i.. I always shoot at 30 fps.

One of my friends he loves shooting at 24. He said it looks just like a movie, and it is beautiful, and later he converts the movie to 1280 X 720 for youtube. He said this works best for him...

New Sequence Project Setting for Canon XHA1s which shoots at: 1440 X 1080:

1- HDV 1080i30 (60i)   ( Fields: Upper Field )

2- HDV 1080p 30  (Fields: no Fields (progressive scan)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------

New Sequence  project Setting for Canon 5D

1- DSLR 1080 p30

2- DSLR 1080 p30 @29.97

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------

I updated my Firmware Last month, I am going to look if there is a new firmware.

Why should we change the 30fps to 29.97 fps ?

What is the different between DSLR p30,  and DSLR p30 @29.97

Thanks

Simon