4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 2:46 PM by Bob Currier

After Effects for Color versus Color Finesse

richcampent

I am new to After Effects, coming from Final Cut Studio with extensive experience in Apple Color.

I was just looking for opinions on what everyone thought on the difference between coloring using After Effects plugins versus using Color Finesse.

Also, anyone use AE and Apple Color? Opinions?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: After Effects for Color versus Color Finesse
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I was just looking for opinions on what everyone thought on the difference between coloring using After Effects plugins versus using Color Finesse.

Color Finesse is an After Effects plug-in, so I'm not really sure what the question is.

In case you weren't aware, I'll point you to this page, which has links to various resources about Color Finesse:

"Resources for Synthetic Aperture Color Finesse"

• 2. Re: After Effects for Color versus Color Finesse
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I've only used Apple's Color twice when I had no other choice (on my MacBook while off site), so I can't exactly compare. On the other hand, I'm using AE's native tools, Color Finesse and Magic Bullet Colorista all the time. I guess in the end it won't make much of a difference, even more so now in CS5 where Color Finesse has more controls in the main effects panel, which allows it to replace Colorista on some level. anyway, too much a case of personal preference and what kind of work you do. i certainly wouldn't transfer lengthy FCP sequences to AE just to color correct them. All my AE stuff is "just there", because I'm working on it and it needs otehr treratments as well, anyway.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: After Effects for Color versus Color Finesse
              richcampent Level 1

Well I am a FCP user but have been highly considering switching to Adobe CS5 for all aspects of my post from Premiere to Soundbooth to AE to Encore. So I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to color correct in AE from Premiere and that'd also allow me to fix up and touch up any other issues in the footage. Ideas?

• 4. Re: After Effects for Color versus Color Finesse
                Bob Currier Level 3

I'm biased as to what your choice should be, but one important thing to keep in mind is the basic difference in workflow between a dedicated color correction app like Apple Color, and a color correction plug-in like Color Finesse/Magic Bullet.

Color is designed to work similarly to a traditional tape-to-tape color correction workflow. That is, you complete your edit, lock it all down, then move on to color correction. Doing additional editing after color correction is difficult. The advantage is that you get to work in an environment dedicated to color correction, and the corrector "knows" about the entire project, making global operations easier. But the integration between the editing app (FCP) and the color corrector (Color) is limited.

With a plug-in, you do you color correction in your editor/motion graphics app so that revisions are easy to make, with no need to lock anything down or flatten the edit or effects. Integration between the app (AE/PPro) and the plug-in can be extremely tight. The disadvantage is that the plug-in is applied to individual clips/layers so that the plug-in only "knows" about that one item, making global operations more difficult.

We try to split the difference with Color Finesse, giving you an environment dedicated to color correction, while still being a plug-in. Of course, we also offer our standalone version for Mac users.

Neither approach is necessarily "better" than the other, they're just different. It largely depends on your own workflow preferences.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture