9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 6:04 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings

ScottyM242

Hi everyone,

I've got Premiere 8 installed - mainly to edit and convert AVCHD clips from my Canon HF11. When I export as avi I'm getting a very small pillar box effect and I think the pixel aspect ratio isn't right - possibly in either the import or the export settings.

When I try and manually create a new project setting I can't. I've follwed the instructions in the online video tutorial and when I get to the stage after I've clicked on one of the presets no save new setting button appears.

I've tried uninstaling and re-installing -- anyone else had this problem - any ideas on how to solve it? I have downloaded the ver8 update as well.

Thanks in advance,

Scot

• 1. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just to be clear: a project setting is what you use to set up a project. An output setting is what you use to output a piece.

If you are shooting in AVCHD, you shouldn't need to create a custom preset. As I say in my books, the program comes with four AVCHD project presets -- 1920x1080 stereo, 1920x1080 5.1 audio, 1440x1080 stereo, 1440x1080 5.1 audio -- and you need to make sure that you're using the correct one for your camcorder footage or your project is not going to behave correctly.

If you choose to output an AVI, you are, of course, going to get a standard-definitin output from your hi-def video.

I don't know what a "pillar box" is, but your video will only be 720x480, half the height and half the width of your original AVCHD. That is what you want, right?

I don't know anything about the tutorial videos you're referring to, so I can't comment on them. But you may want to check out my free 8-part Basic Training with Premiere Elements series at http://Muvipix.com, a videomaker support site with an excellent forum and dozens of tutorials and tips. And for detailed explanations of everything, you should check out my books, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store.

• 2. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings
            ScottyM242 Level 1

Hi Steve that's right - I need a 1920 x 1080 input setting - but when I export (to 720 x 576 - I'm using PAL) I get vertical black bars at the extreme left and right of frame - which to me indicates that the pixel aspect ratio isn't right as the picture isn't transcoding across to the full output frame??

BTW this is the video I was talking about

http://www.adobe.com/support/captivate_movies/prel4_projectsettings/pre_modify_project_set tings.swf

Dont' know they're my thoughts -- but I want to be able to use custom presets for other uses as I often make weird size clips for various reasons - and I'm a bit annoyed/frustrated that that option isn't present in my install!!

Anyone else have any ideas on why I can't do it?

Thanks

Scot

• 3. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings

Again, just to be clear -- when you're talking about "custom presets" do you mean project settings or output settings?

You can not make new project presets. All you get is what comes with the program.

You can, on the other hand, make any custom output settings you want. You can even save them as your own personal presets.

The challenge with doing this is that you often undermine the automatic settings of the program. For instance, if you use other than the standard presets for outputting your project, you often end up with letterboxing as you describe.

So I'm not clear what exactly you're trying to do, Scotty. And it might be helpful if you described, step by step, how you're doing your output.

BTW, that's a very nice demo you created! Thanks for the link!

• 4. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings
                ScottyM242 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I didn't actually make that tutorial - I just found it on the adobe site.

I am talking about presets at the beginning - I thought you could make them - perhaps I'd better watch that tutorial again?? In Premiere 6.5 you can - maybe that tutorial is for Premiere Pro, not Elements - I'd better go back and double check.

But at any rate to be clear I'm trying to go from a 1920x1080 avchd frame to a 720x576 avi frame in which the image is anamorphically compressed. The squished up image should extend all the way to the edge of the 720x576 frame (it stops just short of the vertical edges at the moment) so when the image is stretched out on playback it comes to the full 16:9 aspect.

Perhaps I just need to alter the output settings - but I haven't been able to alter the pixel aspect ratio there yet either. (I'm on a different PC now) but from memory if I go custom pixel aspect ratio it gives me the figures 256:256 but whenever I change them to reflect a new ratio they always revert back.

Any tips? Perhaps there is a tutorial somewhere on changing export pixel aspect ratios -- I'll have a check now

Thanks,

Scot

• 5. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings

You should not have to alter the output settings. In fact, if you do you can undermine the program's efforts to give you the right thing.

I'm very suprised to hear that just outputting a standard DV-AVI at the default settings should give a video with no letterboxing, if you're using the right project preset for your source video.

• 6. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings
                    ScottyM242 Level 1

Yes I don't want it letterboxed though - I want it to be anamorphically compressed so on playback the DVD player will

letterbox it if necessary for a 4:3 TV or leave it as is for 16:9 tv.

Even so though it's not rendering it correctly and making it fit the full width of the 720x576 frame.

Anyway reading around   it looks like it's just a limit placed on Elements - it is a cut down version afterall!

Perhaps I could have some luck trying something like this -- I'll have to experiment.

The annoying this is that tutorial adobe published clearly shows you can make custom presets - however that is for Elements 7 - maybe they took that feature out for 8?

Scot

• 7. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings

I don't know. As I've said, I don't work for Adobe and I don't have anything to do with that tutorial.

I've published my own books and my own set of free tutorials, which I've linked you to above, and I'll be glad to answer any questions about them.

• 8. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings
                        ScottyM242 Level 1

No probs Steve - thanks for having a look anyway.

I think I've probably reached the answer - not possilbe (by design) in this version to alter the project settings.

Still not sure on how to set the custom pixel aspect ratio on export though -- anyone else have any ideas? Anyone from Adobe likely to weigh in here?

By looking at all the posts here - it seems like Version 8 is really buggy - hopefully they'll iron all that out for V9 and give us all a free upgrade!

Scot

• 9. Re: Premiere 8 won't allow custom project settings

You can set the pixel aspect ratio of your output by clicking on the Advanced button on the Share panel, after you select a format for your output.

But, as I've said, the program usually does this automatically, based on your project's settings. So, if you plan to get in there and change things, it may take some trial and error to figure out what the exact settings should be.