4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 12:37 PM by John T Smith

video card for HD and green screen

jack_schulman

I use a windows XP64 based machine with a quad core I7 920 processor and 12 gigs of RAM with nVidia 260 card. I use CS3. Right now I am having severe crash issues in Premeire CS3.

I do HD 1080i video editing with up to 4 layers of green screen. I currently use Adobe AE Keylight2 for my greenscreen work. I bring the files into Premeire with "Dynamic Link". I crash, and crash, and crash. What is my best option to prevent crashing. A Quadro video card? which one? . Or, Matrox Max. My budget is somewhat limited. I can't get both. I want to upgrade to CS5 but need to fix this problem, now.

Sincere thanx to anyone who can help

• 1. Re: video card for HD and green screen
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since Adobe never supported Win XP 64 I would get rid of the operating system and move to Win 7 64.  Changing video cards is not going to solve your problem and considering the sad stories concerning Matrox, I would guess that the only thing it would do for you is compound your problem.  Generally system crashes with Adobe are caused by defective installations that require reinstalling your software after cleaning with the Adobe Cleanup script.  But in this case you have the opportunity to start fresh with a virgin installation of Win 7

• 2. Re: video card for HD and green screen
            jack_schulman Level 1

I appreciate the quick answer and am considering moving to Windows

7 (64). What is the sad story about Matrox? What is the best way to speed

up my rendering or processing without having to purchase another cpu? Thanx once again for your quick response. I render primarily to h.264

• 3. Re: video card for HD and green screen
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Matrox has a problem developing drivers timely and bug-free for Premiere.  This is not always the case.  Search these forums.

Now as a preview just for you I ran a benchmark with CS4 (I do not have CS3 running), I have run this portion of our beta version of PPBM5 previously many times with CS5 on an AVCHD H.264 sequence.  With CS4 it took 173 seconds to encode with my very high end system with a hacked GTX 480, and with CS5 I get an average of 75 seconds for the same sequence, about 2.3 times faster.

I would suggest you just get a new disk drive and load Win 7 64 on it and keep your XP drive in a dual boot setup.  That way you can load CS3 on the new disk and gradually transistion to the new OS.

• 4. Re: video card for HD and green screen
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

May not help with CS3, but my CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 has a link to my computer, which uses Win7 Pro 64bit and CS5 with zero problems