7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 1:38 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 8 Quality Output Question

havokjay79

Hello, i am trying by trial and error to get the best quality out of my film.  Here are the details:

Windows 7 64bit (yeah i know, not the best with prem 8)

quad core

6gb ram

Camera: Canon hg20 (makes an m2t file)

Preset: avchd: full HD 1920x1080i @ 29fps

Output: Mpeg 1920 x1080i

seems to be a slight quality loss. i would like to emulate putting a file in and exporting it out without quality loss (cant seem to do it)

I thought maybe i have the preset set wrong and instead should use the HDV 1920x1080i settings...

what I want to do is burn a short film that is in full HD onto a DVD however, the quality is terrible when i let premiere take it to DVD, so i was just exporting with premiere to a file and using Magix and/or Nero to burn the DVD because they have the smart-encode.

Any suggestions?

I just want my as much quality as I can to stay intact all the way to the DVD copy. and what presets should i use with my camera?

ALSO: once i create a project IS THERE ANY WAY to change the preset settings? seems like they lock after you start editing...

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Quality Output Question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my books, when you begin a new project, go to Settings and select the AVCHD 1920x1080 preset. If your camcorder records in 5.1 audio, you'll need to choose that also. This will give you your best possible quality work.

Render often as you work. The red lines above your clips on the timeline indicate a need to render. Press Enter, let the program render and the lines will turn green -- and your system will perform better.

Premiere Elements can not burn a hi-def BluRay file to a DVD. So you will need to use a third-party program to do this. (Nero is a good choice, if it is capable of burning a BluRay file to a DVD -- which few programs can do.)

From Premiere Elements go to Share/Personal Computer/MPEG and select the preset for 1440x1080 HDV. (These pixels are anamorphic, so the file is just as detailed as 1920x1080, as I also explain in my books.)

From there on out, it's up to Nero to do the job. The quality of your MPEG will be every bit as good as your original AVCHD.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Quality Output Question
            havokjay79 Level 1

thanks Steve, i am with you on everything you are saying except i have one question (and this may be where I am messing up). on the export, why use the 1440 instead of the 1920, 1080??

Also what about the output? would you say that mpeg is the way to go since i will end up on DVD? i just figured it is less steps to get to its native format.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Quality Output Question

You do need to read my books, havok! It's all explain there.

Most photos and web-based video uses square pixels to create their images. Television-based video uses anamorphic pixels -- pixels that are either taller than they are wide or wider than they are tall. This means that 720x480 camcorder video creates 640x480 web video. And 1440x1080 HDV video is exactly the same size and the same resolution as 1920x1080 video (16:9 formats).

Regardless, whatever video you use is going to get re-encoded by Nero in order for it to create BluRay files. My specs will give you the best possible source video for nero.

Remember, what you're asking for is NOT a DVD! You're asking for hi-def BluRay files on a DVD disc. This means that you will only be able to play this video on a BluRay disc player.

Your video also must be under 40 minutes or so, since DVDs only hold about 1/6 the data of BluRay discs.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Quality Output Question
                havokjay79 Level 1

actually that may be the confusion. i am not looking to make a AVCHD-DVD. i am looking to compress to standard DVD. the film only is around 30 minutes.

I understand that there will be quality loss, i understand that i will be using the "fit to disc" option.

My actual discs will be blu ray (which will not be a problem) but i need some versions of it to be DVD-player complient for film festival submissions (because they do not accept bluray yet)

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Quality Output Question

Nero should be able to produce both a DVD and a BluRay version from the same input (assuming your version of Nero is BluRay capable and you have a BluRay burner).

Remember, though, DVDs produce videos that are less than half the horizontal and half the vertical pixels of hi-def. On a regular TV, you shouldn't notice the lower resolution. And, if you BluRay or DVD player has a built-in upconverter, your DVD will look almost as good as your BluRays.

But don't expect DVDs to look as good when you play them on a computer. Computers are extremely high resolution, compared to TVs and, at full-screen, DVD video can look a bit fuzzy and pixelated. Especially if you're playing them with something like Windows Media Player, which doesn't do a good job of converting interlaced video to progressive scan.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Quality Output Question
                    havokjay79 Level 1

I think thats my problem Steve, i am viewing the DVDs on my computer and the quality is crap compared to my blu-rays.. i will put both in my blu ray player and compare on my HD tv.. the player has upscaling, but honestly i may have to play it in an old school dvd player because i want to be able to see what the judges at the festivals will see... 

but non-the-less.. thank you.. what is the link to this book that you mentioned buddy?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Quality Output Question

Glad you asked!

The books are availalble on Amazon. Just do a search on my name.

They're also available through the web site I co-created to help Premiere Elements users, http://Muvpix.com.

Here's  a link to the Muvipix book store.

And thanks in advance for supporting the books, havok!