3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 2:48 AM by CHMprepress

Export to Psd flattens layers with overprint

enter a nickname Level 1

So, if Illustrator flattens all the layers below anything with overprint, how am I supposed to make a layered cmyk .PSD file with overprint type?  The only solutions  I can see are:

1) To pick out every layer of type in the photoshop file and set it to multiply.

2) To make multiple exports and then combine them in photshop.

Is there a better method?

And is there any way to export layers with the overprint? And then finally , what IS the best way to export to photoshop in cmyk?

• 1. Re: Export to Psd flattens layers with overprint
          CHMprepress Level 3

Why export to Photoshop?

Why dont you setup your elements right in Illustrator. Now with the transparanties and effects in Illustrator no need annymore to step to Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Export to Psd flattens layers with overprint
            enter a nickname Level 1

You are right in suggesting that I simply send clients a properly layered .ai or .pdf file. But there are a couple of reasons I don't usually do this:

First, both me and some clients worry that they can mess up the file.

And second many if not most clients prefer this as just plain simpler- no worry about fonts and all that.

It surprises me how many major publishers prefer images as tiffs. The reason for this, I suppose is that most of their images are raster-based and its relatively rare to get something else. Then, they always worry about fonts.

The printers are always left to figure out the screwed-up messes we provide and they (almost) always fix it in the end. I wrote this question so that maybe a printer or a pre-press expert could steer me a little. save us both some work and provide a better product.

• 3. Re: Export to Psd flattens layers with overprint
              CHMprepress Level 3

Wel fonts should not be a problem annymore, if you export your pdf as it should be, fonts aar embeded. A other option is to deliver a vectorised pdf.