5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 5:17 AM by Ankit_Jain

Adobe Reader 9.3.3 will not read PDFs enabled for Commenting and Analysis

Jon A.

We're having a problem across my organization today. Users who have upgraded to Adobe Reader 9.3.3 get error messages when they attempt to view PDFs that have been "enabled for Commenting and Analysis" using the option in the Comments menu of Acrobat 8.

Typically, we are seeing the following error message:

This document enabled extended features in Adobe Reader. The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available. Please contact the author for the original version of this document.

I've done a little investigation, and it is definitely the markup feature for Adobe Reader that is causing the problem. I have a PDF from March that exhibits the issue. Markup was enabled, as that is a standard part of our publishing workflow. I made a new PDF this morning, and did not enable markup in Reader. No problem. I also used the Save As feature on the problem PDF, which removes the extended feature, and the resulting copy does not exhibit the problem.

Unfortunately, we have hundreds of PDFs with Commenting and Analysis enabled for Reader, as we find that feature to be handy for product support. I don't want to remove the extended feature on all of them.

This problem is occurring on Windows XP desktops, in case it matters.

Please resolve this situation ASAP. In the meantime, our workaround will be to downgrade users to 9.3.0, which does not exhibit this problem. Fortunately we have a 9.3.0 installer already downloaded.

Jonathan W. Acheson

Technical Writer

SofterWare, Inc.

jacheson@softerware.com

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.3 will not read PDFs enabled for Commenting and Analysis
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please resolve this situation ASAP. In the meantime,...

How can we resolve this situation? This is user-to-user forum. You may contact the Adobe support.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.3 will not read PDFs enabled for Commenting and Analysis
            Jon A. Level 1

I didn't realize that. I'll have to contact Support directly.

Thank you, Bernd!

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.3 will not read PDFs enabled for Commenting and Analysis
              Jon A. Level 1

I thought I would provide a final followup to this thread, in case someone googles it later.

Basically, Adobe Support gave me a workaround, but did not admit to any bugs in their software (though the workaround strongly implies that a bug exists).

The workaround is to use a different command to enable commenting and analysis. Instead of using the "Enable Commenting and Analysis" command on the Comments menu, they advised me to use the "Enable Enhanced Features" command on the Advanced menu. This produces a PDF that allows commenting, and does not trigger the error we were seeing.

In combination with the Save As trick to remove the apparently defective enhanced features that are enabled for our current PDFs, this would allow us to eventually remove the problem from all of our PDFs. This would have to be done by hand for each PDF. We are looking into having an intern do this work for the hundreds of PDFs affected.

There is obviously some kind of bug in the Enable Commenting and Analysis command, but Adobe Support did not admit that, and made no real promises about when such a bug, if it existed, might actually be fixed.

To conclude, I'll just say that I was very disappointed with Adobe Support.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.3 will not read PDFs enabled for Commenting and Analysis
                MarkFromCardiff Level 1

I might be able to make your changes with the batch commands available in Acrobat:

Advanced->Document Processing->Batch Processing...

You might not be able to do all the steps involved, but if you can automate any of them, there's a little less misery in the world.  I see that you can "Execute JavaScript" as one of the options.  I suspect you can do most or all of what you want from there.

"Reader Enable" is noticably missing from the list of available batch commands.  I doubt that's an accident.

Explicitly setting the doc to have no security might strip out the Read Enabling for you... but then again it may not.  Hmph.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9.3.3 will not read PDFs enabled for Commenting and Analysis
                  Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Is this behaviour recurring for any PDF for which you have Enabled the "Comment and Analysis" Feature via Acrobat 8? Or is it specific for certain PDF's that you might be using? If so, can you please share any such sample PDF.

I was trying the same process for a random PDF that I had, and was able to successfully open the same using Reader 9.3.3.