6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 1:44 PM by Gracemont

PE 7- won't open

Gracemont

I have been working on a project in PE 7 for a couple of days. Last night I uploaded the clip to you tube, and then shut my computer down. As I was shutting the system down windows did an auto update/ installation. As soon as I woke up this morning I tried to open my project. When I click on 'PE7' I get the usual screen options of new project / open project. No matter what I click on the same thing happens - The program appears to load, I get the initial front screen, but it is plain grey, apart from the 'File,edit,save' tabs along the top (which I cannot click on). Then the screen falls away so all I can see is my desktop. The icon indicating PE7 is open is on the desktop, but if I click on it nothing happens. I have re-booted a million times. I tried to remove the windows up date from last night - but that is weird. It shows up in my list of updates, but it doesnt appear in the list of updates you have an option to remove.

Please some one help me! Im on a roll with this project and I would rather deep fat fry my arms than give up on it now!

Oh - and if you're going to tell me to update any drivers or codecs or anything like that Im going to need step by step instructions on how to identify them in the first place!

• 1. Re: PE 7- won't open
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may have corrupted something.

Have you tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling? You won't lose any work in progress.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE 7- won't open
            Gracemont Level 1

Because I bought the laptop with PE7 already installed, I dont have a CD to reinstall with - Im not sure of a way round that?

But - last night I kept trying, and reading all the forums where people have had a similar problems. one bit of advice was just to open and wait and after an hour it might actually open. So I tried again, and it worked first time! I did absolutely nothing and changed nothing, so I can't see why it would spend 18 hours not opening, and then suddenly start working again? Looking at the forums it seems like other people have had this issue - But I cant find a permanent solution to stop it happening again.

• 3. Re: PE 7- won't open

Sorry I can't help you. I've never heard of a problem quite like you're describing (The program opens then suddenly minimizes). It's not quite like any other won't-open situations I've encountered.

• 4. Re: PE 7- won't open
                nealeh Level 5

Gracemont wrote:

Because I bought the laptop with PE7 already installed, I dont have a CD to reinstall with - Im not sure of a way round that?

Unless it is a pirated version you should, at the very least, have a folder containing the PRE source files from which you can burn an install DVD. Additionally you should have been given a registration code to activate PRE. If you have neither of these then take it up with your laptop supplier - if it's all above board they should be able to provide you with the necessary files / registration key.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE 7- won't open

A very good point, Neale!

It could be that the program is shutting down because it's not licensed or registered with Adobe.

The FAQs to the right of this forum tellyou how to activate your license.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542377?tstart=0

• 6. Re: PE 7- won't open
                    Gracemont Level 1

Thanks guys - Im going to burn off the source files now - just in case!

Fortunately I do have an activation code - its a Dell laptop from the official Dell website, so Im reasonably confident its legit. The problem hasnt re-ocurred since it righted itself - hopefully this was just a one off.