• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I enable CHM-embedded SWF Files in Windows 7 64 bits?

Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a Robohelp project with several important tutorials in the Flash SWF format, all of which were added to the project without issue. I have kept these in the CHM output for close to 2 years without issue. Then our company began to switch from XP (32 bits)  to Windows 7 (64 bits), and users who had made the OS switch could no longer view the SWF tutorials.

Any ideas as to how I can keep these SWF-format tutorials functional in a CHM on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob

It is my understanding that Adobe does not have a 64 bit version of the Flash Player/Plug In. This means that the IE browser is probably only running in 32 bit mode if Flash is operational.

CHM files rely on components of IE for their display mechanism. So what we really need is for Adobe to release a 64 bit version of the Flash ActiveX control. Once that happens we will likely have what you are seeking.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Rob

One other thing. Here is my own workaround for operating CHM files successfully on Windows 7. What I've done is to install Windows 7 Ultimate as the OS. (My PC shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium)

Then I downloaded (free of charge) the Microsoft Virtual Machine with XP mode. I then run the CHM from inside the VM in a 32 bit XP environment.

I do believe that it's possible to run a 32 bit version of HH.EXE to display the CHM file and have things work fine in the 64 bit environment. I say this because I've found that if I allow RoboHelp to launch the CHM, I see Captivate movies working in those. But run it on its own and BOOM!

I'd be one happy camper if I could sort the command line to launch the help viewer in 32 bit mode as RoboHelp seems to be doing!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your answers.

Your workaround is effective for individual cases, but it may be too much to ask for every potential reader of the CHM to do the same. So, for the moment, I think I'll add the videos to an intranet site and replace the CHM pages with a list of links (opening in a browser) to said sites.

Crossing my fingers that Adobe will come up with the ActiveX control soon enough.

Thanks again,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp