7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 9:59 AM by Mylenium

dot/grid animation

silverhandphoto

I need dots to explode out from the center of the screen and then disappear from the center of the screen out...

I was thinking particular, but the end client wants it to be a "grid' type of pattern of dots and I cannot figure out how to make them disappear from the center out. Animating a mask won't work...they kind of want the dots to disappear in a "random" type pattern.

thanks all!

• 1. Re: dot/grid animation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Effect --> Simulation --> Particle World

Effect --> Simulartion --> Card Dance

Create some maps to drive the whole show in a pre-comp and you're good to go.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: dot/grid animation
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Also CC Ball Action. It's a bit more complicated to get a burst but the spheres exists in a 2D projection of 3D space so the illusion can be much more interesting.

If you understand how to make this work with Card Dance, as Myl suggests, you can also make it work with Shatter.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: dot/grid animation
              silverhandphoto Level 1

thank you...it looks like I can do something like this in card dance...

particle playground and card dance are new areas for me... are you saying to use particle playing ground with card dance or to try each one...

sorry if i am a bit slow in this...i wish i could get more ae projects than i do. it seems like i have to brush up each time i get a new project.

thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: dot/grid animation
                silverhandphoto Level 1

ok...i am now having trouble... no matter what i try i cannot get particles to emit from the center and float to a "grid" shape... the grid shape should be made up of the dots (the pic below is similar to what i would need)

after the grid shape is made, the dots should then disappear from the center of the shape out...

most emitters seem random. in particular you can set an emitter to a grid shape, but then it just emits from the shape..

i don't know why i am making this so difficult..

thanks again.

Screen shot 2010-07-20 at 10.44.48 AM.png

• 5. Re: dot/grid animation
                  silverhandphoto Level 1

thanks for trying to help...but, i could not figure out how to achieve the effect needed with particle world and card dance..

though animating 2000 dots manually is no fun, that is what I ended up doing to try and match the designers design.

they liked it and that is what matters!

cheers!

• 6. Re: dot/grid animation
                    bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Ah, a picture is worth some number of words and all that.

You could have used any of the particle systems or even Foam and then run the movie backwards. Shatter would have been my personal go-to filter.

Card Dance assumes each dot would fall int he exact center of a discrete rectangular card. The position of each card in x-y-z space is controllable via manual keyframes or via grayscale control graphics, the far more sophisticated and elegantly useful method, but it requires thorough understanding of compound effects that are driven by grayscale images or movies.

bogiesan

• 7. Re: dot/grid animation
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As David said, the trick is to reverse the animation. You start out with the grid and then have it contract, e.g. by using a position X/ position Y map based on a simple radial gradient and animating the value range multiplier in Card Dance, then you animate it back to expand. Should be relatively easy if you match the map and grid.

Mylenium