9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 7:57 AM by the_wine_snob

importing vs media browser

richcampent

I am new to Premiere from FCP

I noticed that Premiere lets you either import files but there is also "Media Browser" which lets you search your hard drive and use footage directly from it. I was wondering if there was a difference between using video files and audio from Media Browser instead of importing it? This would let me keep my folders organized and use directly from there... Thanks!

• 1. Re: importing vs media browser
          Colin Brougham Level 6

When you use a piece of media that you've selected via the Media Browser, it is automatically imported into your project. You can double-click to load the clip from the MB into the Source Monitor, and from there, either drop it in a bin, or drop it in a sequence. You can also drag right from the MB to a sequence or to the Project panel/bin--though oddly, you can't drag from the MB to the Source Monitor

No matter what, the end result is that your footage is imported and becomes part of your project.

• 2. Re: importing vs media browser
            shooternz Level 6

Just a note....and I am sure you both know this...

The footage is not actually imported. 

A reference to the location of the footage is placed in the Project.

• 3. Re: importing vs media browser
              Colin Brougham Level 6

True, true--important point. However, I was speaking in an FCP-idiomatic fashion, where you can have footage in use in a project, without it actually being imported (i.e. "part of") into that project! It's all very confusing. I'm assuming the OP is aware of this, hence the nature of his question.

The good news is that Premiere makes it much easier to track your imported materials than FCP.

• 4. Re: importing vs media browser
                shooternz Level 6
                I was speaking in an FCP-idiomatic fashion

Yeah...I knew that you were talking in an "idiomatic fashion"...but for those that didnt..I thought I better point out the non idiomatic facts.

• 5. Re: importing vs media browser
                  richcampent Level 1

thank you very much for your help! I understand the file management system better now.

an additional question, I set the in points on a bunch of audio and video files in a time line, then linked the audio and video together.

I want to drag them over to the project browser so I can use the synced clips whenever I want but when I select all it will only create one clip at a time. Is there anyway to select all and bring them to the project browser? some sequences have hundreds of synced clips and I really don't want to spend the time dragging one at a time... thanks!

btw I am very well versed in FCS and recently got into AE for a new project that's graphics intensive so I looked into using CS5 instead of FCS and am making the switch, hence all the questions. just the little idiosyncrasies I'm trying to learn from the program switch. so any tips, suggestions or other reasons I should be happy about the switch please let me know!

I must say this Adobe forum has made the switch a lot nicer and friendlier as I've received a lot of great comments and help without any rude people or issues! Thanks!

• 6. Re: importing vs media browser
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Just so long as you're not calling me an Idiot-o-matic...

• 7. Re: importing vs media browser
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

an additional question, I set the in points on a bunch of audio and video files in a time line, then linked the audio and video together.

I want to drag them over to the project browser so I can use the synced clips whenever I want but when I select all it will only create one clip at a time. Is there anyway to select all and bring them to the project browser? some sequences have hundreds of synced clips and I really don't want to spend the time dragging one at a time... thanks!

Unfortunately, Premiere really does not have a decent way of handling this sort of material right now--I'm assuming you're working with video and audio recorded separately in a dual system. There have been a few threads as of late that have been started with a couple of different ways of addressing this issue; folks shooting with RED and DSLRs are the primaries leading these discussions. You might try searching for threads in the last couple of weeks for how they're working around this.

• 8. Re: importing vs media browser
                        richcampent Level 1

Thank you!

Any suggestions on what to search? Or thread suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• 9. Re: importing vs media browser
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

I thought that Craig was referring to me with that "idiot-o-matic" reference.

For a bit of background on what is "inside" a PrPro Project file (and also a PrE PREL file), this ARTICLE might be useful. This info is just for clarification on what is actually accomplished by Importing, and is probably going slightly OT, but might be useful to others later on, especially as some think that the Project file actually contains the media.

Good luck,

Hunt