9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 4:06 PM by Colin Brougham

Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)

shooternz Level 6

I  am experiencing that my CS5 Suite is not as accepting of as many QT (.movs) as I was able to in my CS4 Suite (which takes anything I throw at it.)

Is this a 32 v 64bit issue?

What are the experiences of others that require these cross platform /Codec workflows?

Any ideas/ solutions?

I dont think its a QT version issue but ...let me know if you know.

I have real world needs in my workflows ...so...not interested in any responses from QT or MAC "haters"  (give it a rest please) .

BTW: Its kind of difficult in WIn 7 to workout exactly what and where CODECS are installed. God only knows how they are managed by anything apart from the OS. 

• 1. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Craig,

I use QuickTimes fairly regularly in my workflows, and haven't encountered anything too troubling yet. I'm using several of the standard QT codecs (DV, Animation, MJPEG, etc.) as well as a few third-party codecs, like the Avid QT codecs. I'm using the latest QT Player install (7.6.6, I don't use Pro since MPEG Streamclip does most of the "other" QT things I need).

What codecs in particular are you having issues with, by chance? As mentioned, I haven't found any yet that I had difficulties with, but that's not to say that there aren't difficulties with some of them. I'm particularly interested as I'll soon be embarking on a capture/catalog/archive project where I'll be ingesting over 250 hours of Betacam SP in a multi-station, multi-platform workflow.

As far as Win7 codecs: at least as far as QuickTime is concerned, I've never seen any version of Windows manage QT codecs as "devices" the way earlier Windows versions managed AVI codecs. One has always had to use third party tools to even reveal those.

• 2. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
            Tim Kolb Level 1

Does it make me a Mac-hater if I point out that QuickTime is still 32 bit only after Apple has had a 64 bit OS for nearly a decade...?

Bottom line is that Adobe wrote their own interface for many QT codecs to get around the 32 bit problem, but I'm sure there are som that are vendor specific or something that Adobe didn't specifically code for...I haven't tried an exhaustive list.

This issue isn't restricted to QuickTime.  Techsmith's screen capture codec can write an AVI, but is 32 bit...I can't edit screen captures in CS5...I have to use CS4.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
              shooternz Level 6

I asume that the QT application is 32 bit as you say but what about the files (do the files get the  32 bit "tag").

Question is whether the files it produces are unable to be played in a 64 bit application or OS - eg CS5 PPRo, Win 7

What I have been finding is that some files that I can play (and edit) in CS4 will not do the same in CS5.

Both suites have same latest QT Pro version installed.  Both must be 32 bit.  The same player works on one machine and not the other with the same "problematic" files

The difficulty I have with WIN 7 Is finding what CODECS are installed in the system so trouble shooting is extremely difficult.

• 4. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
                Tim Kolb Level 1

The QT player doesn't work on the files in question on the CS5 machine?  But the QT Player works on the CS4 machine?

That's odd.

I actually have CS4 and CS5 on the same machine and the 32 bit codecs that Adobe hasn't done the custom workaround on still work in CS4...just not CS5, but they're on the same machine.

(QuickTimeX is 64 bit of course, but I haven't heard an eta for Windows to see some version of it...)

I've actually done some searching and can't come up with any info myself on where the codecs would be installed (in a web search, or a search of my machine...).

So now I'm curious myself as to where one would find such information.

TimK

• 5. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

I actually have CS4 and CS5 on the same machine and the 32 bit codecs that Adobe hasn't done the custom workaround on still work in CS4...just not CS5, but they're on the same machine.

I don't know this for a fact, but I was under the impression that Adobe didn't do anything with the codecs or the QuickTime components, but instead created a translator/traffic cop of sorts that is the go-between. When you're using an MOV in a project, check out the running processes in the Windows Task Manager; you'll see an entry called "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" that runs from the "32" folder inside the PPro installation. My understanding is that this process creates a wormhole between the 32-bit world of QuickTime and the 64-bit world of Premiere, thus enabling anything that works with QT to work with Premiere.

I'm curious what codecs you and Craig are having issue with in CS5? I haven't had anything yet in my normal workflows (I don't use a huge variety of different codecs) that's been cause for alarm.

(QuickTimeX is 64 bit of course, but I haven't heard an eta for Windows to see some version of it...)

Interestingly, QuickTime X suffers the same 64-bit conundrum that Premiere Pro CS5 does. It actually launches a version of QT7 in order to playback 32-bit encoded files, for which there is no 64-bit decoder! At least we're not alone...

I've actually done some searching and can't come up with any info myself on where the codecs would be installed (in a web search, or a search of my machine...).

So now I'm curious myself as to where one would find such information.

At least on my machine (running Windows 7 Business 64-bit), installed QT codecs are found in C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTComponents with a QTX extension. I've got the Avid codecs and the Calibrated Software codecs in there right now. As far as being visible elsewhere in Windows--I don't think they show anywhere else. QuickTime is its own little bubble. That's the one thing about Mac OS and some of its parts: it doesn't allow for much firehosing when it comes to how files are dispersed. They tend to land in one place, and you uninstall something simply by trashing its folder. Try that on Windows! No... don't... it's bad.

• 6. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
                    Level 4

--------------

The difficulty I have with WIN 7 Is finding what CODECS are installed in  the system so trouble shooting is extremely difficult.

--------------

Shooternz, Isn't there a gspot type program for win7 ?  If I look at gspot in xp I can get this info as shown in image

gspot codec.jpg

Once I have the name of codec I can do a search in my registry...kinda time consuming cause there's lots of instances before you actually get a directory listing sometimes...  as shown in image:

regedit.jpg

Might help   ??     Rod

ps this sample isnt the mainconcept avi2 ...its the mpeg...but you get the idea...

if you want to take it further...there's a tool called "dependency walker" or something similar for windows that you can put the DLL file into and it will show all of the OTHER files the DLL links to....

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
                      shooternz Level 6

Thanx for all suggestions.

I wil investigate further when time permits.

Currently one project has a lot stock footage involved. Its all different and a lot of QT.

I am using two suites to transcode some footage so that I can just edit in one suite !

• 8. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
                        Tim Kolb Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

At least on my machine (running Windows 7 Business 64-bit), installed QT codecs are found in C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTComponents with a QTX extension.

I only have my third party codecs in that folder...I did find it, but I wanted to see what codecs installed with QT itself...  It appears they are spread out a bit in QuickTime\QTSystem.

• 9. Re: Quicktime CS4 v CS5 (Windows)
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I think most of the "standard" codecs are stowed in the QuickTime.qts file; it's the largest of the system files. I'm guessing Apple packages them all up and makes them otherwise inaccessible to the OS. For instance, if you search for "*dv*" in the QuickTime folder, you get no hits--seems likely you would if the DV codec was a standalone file, like the third-party codecs are.