7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 2:14 PM by rsquirrel44

Is there a max. length for a project?

rsquirrel44 Level 1

I have been working on a project of my trip to WDW.  It's already over an hour long.  I have started getting a message - Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working.  Could it be because the project is too big?

• 1. Re: Is there a max. length for a project?
          nealeh Level 5

I'm not aware of any maximum project length and have certainly had projects of close to three hours. To help a lot more information is needed. See here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Is there a max. length for a project?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may have maxed out your resources though.

How much free DEFRAGMENTED space is on your C drive?

And are you editing off a second or external drive? If so, make sure that the drive is formatted NTFS rather than FAT32. FAT32 drives have a file size limit that frequently chokes video work.

• 3. Re: Is there a max. length for a project?
              rsquirrel44 Level 1

I left the computer to disc defragment last night.  I will check to see if that fixed the problem and let you know.

• 4. Re: Is there a max. length for a project?

As I said in your other thread, rsquirrel, we can't help you if you don't answer our questions and provide us lots of detailed information.

How much free space is left on your C drive? Windows and Premiere Elements requires at least 20-30 gigabytes of free, defragmented space to function properly.

• 5. Re: Is there a max. length for a project?
                  rsquirrel44 Level 1

I'd be more than happy to give you the information you require, if I knew how.

I know Mac better than Windows and Vista is what the laptop is running and I know even less of that operating system.

I had to ask my BIL's how to disc defragment.  On the laptop it doesn't even show me the screen like the one on this computer.  I don't get the colored bars of green, red and blue (I think thats what colors they are-I haven't done a disc defragment on this computer for a while).

I think I'm having trouble because the project is too large.  After disc defragmenting I was able to add a few more movie clips and transitions in and save it.  I then got a message about it having low memory or something and then I got the stopped working error message.  I decided I would break the video down into 2 discs and just burn what I had done so far, then I got the blue screen of death (I have been reading lots of messages posted).  Now I don't know what to do.  The computer is just under a year old and next month the warrenty is finished.  Dell says it's not their problem it's a software problem.

I have the packing info for the computer- Dual In-line memory module, 4G, 800, DDR2, 2X2G Inspiron T6500, 1545, 320 GB Hard Drive

• 6. Re: Is there a max. length for a project?

Sorry that I won't be able to help you, rsquirrel.

Without enough information -- or the ability to sit down at your computer and look things up for myself -- I can't know what's going on.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions.

• 7. Re: Is there a max. length for a project?
                      rsquirrel44 Level 1

I found out that I have a 2.10 GHz processor and that Premiere Elements requires 3.0 GHz.  Could this be the problem?