• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pound (£) Sign Displays as '£' in CFBuilder or saves as '�' - (Bug-80209)

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a cfm page created in home site (or any other plain text editor) is saved with a GBP pound sign '£' and opened in cfbuilder. cfbuilder cannot display this and just displays a small diamond box with a question mark in it.

If you save the page in cfbuilder and open it in any other text editor it displays £ (funny A with an accent on top and the £ sign).

By using ‘£’ or ‘#chr(163)#’ fixes the problem but this doesn’t help when opening someone else’s code (who has used just a simple ‘£’ sign), making any small change and saving – As soon as you save, cfbuilder overwrites all instances of the grey diamond with Arabic looking charaters – ‘�’

This is I highly critical bug and I reported it last September but Adobe have done nothing to fix this (that I can see) Bug ID – 80209 - http://cfbugs.adobe.com/bugreport/flexbugui/cfbugtracker/main.html#bugId=80209

I have tested this on the following machines (with the new update)

• Win7 with eclipse plugin
  • Win xp with cfbuilder stand alone app
  • Mac OSX

The only time it seemed to work was on the Mac any PC installation displayed the same problem

Any help would be great – also if anyone else can confirm this issue and let me know (or post as comment on the bug tracker)

Cheers

PS I have found whilst googling a few replications of this problem with people on Linux machines (nothing to do with cfbuilder or eclipse) link below.

http://www.devcomments.com/unable-to-display-a-pound-sign-at104055.htm

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's similar for me on Win Vista Professional 64-bit.

It seems to me like CFB is trying to open the file as UTF-8 when it hasn't been encoded that way?

If I save my test file (using notepad) as the default ANSI, CFB ballses it up.  If I specifically save it as UTF-8, then CFB copes.

CFB should work, either way.

I've re-used this comment against http://cfbugs.adobe.com/bugreport/flexbugui/cfbugtracker/main.html#bugId=80209 and voted for it.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Adam,

Ive just found a link that explains how to change the way CFbuilder encodes files

http://sandeepp.org/blog/?p=159

However i cant change them as it appears to be locked.

Any idea how i can unlock the filetypes?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locked or otherwise, you should still be able to change the encoding value.  I can.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK just Typing in the box seems to  work (my bad)

However  I need to set the type as ANSI (which isnt supported apparently) any  clues?

Ta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please stop posting everything twice.

ASCI has only 7 bit so the highest character is 127. Since you wrote you wanted #Asc(163)# that is not going to help. You probably want Latin1. If you can't find that, Google for the ISO code for that charset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havent posted anything twice? (not on pupose anyway)

Cheers for the tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benalembick wrote:

I havent posted anything twice? (not on pupose anyway)

So Re: New Encoding-Problems with CFBuilder 1.0 is not the same 'changes locked' problem as in the third post of this thread?

Posting an issue once is enough and don't bump it within 24 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was a completley different post with different people answering so i thought that some of the people who had contributed before might be able to help.

Just because your an Admin and see everything doesnt mean everyone else does.

Apologies if i offended you i was just trying to get an answer for a problem with a peice of software that costs well over the odds and still isnt fully working yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I just had a fiddle and it appears that using ISO-8859-1 appears to work.

Fingers Crossed.

Thanks for your help

PS can you see any problems in continuing to use this encodeing type?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation