1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 8:53 AM by Chris W. Griffith

Linking URL / external pages. Big HOW to me. Pls help.

iswimwithnemo

I've been researching and looking for tutorials and forums about my problem. I can't link certain buttons to go to a specific url. I've known that this should be done in Flash Builder but everytime I try to put the codes, errors always come in. I tried putting the url itself to the click event (showed in the picture) and also tried the code navigateToURL( new URLRequest("http://www.adobe.com"),  "_blank"); either way, nothing answered my problem. Please help me.I would appreciate it so much.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 1. Re: Linking URL / external pages. Big HOW to me. Pls help.
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Actually you can assign those type of actions from within Flash Catalyst without the need to open Flash Builder. I have attached a simple demo to illustrate this. The blue header was transformed into a custom component, then a "Go To URL" interaction was attached.

The first method that you tried will never work, the click method needs to call a function. The second method might work, but I suspect there maybe security sandbox issues. For example:

• Local untrusted SWF files may not communicate with the Internet. You can avoid this situation by reclassifying this SWF file as local-with-networking or trusted.
          • A navigate operation attempted to evaluate a scripting pseudo-URL, but the containing document (usually an HTML document in a browser) is from a sandbox to which you do not have access. You can avoid this situation by specifying allowScriptAccess="always" in the containing document.
          • You cannot navigate the special windows "_self", "_top", or "_parent" if your SWF file is contained by an HTML page that has set the allowScriptAccess to "none", or to"sameDomain" when the domains of the HTML file and the SWF file do not match.
          • You cannot navigate a window with a nondefault name from within a SWF file that is in the local-with-filesystem sandbox.

Hope this helps.

FYI: If you have opened and edited the Flash Catalyst project in Flash Builder, you will be unable to reopen it in Flash Catalyst.