7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 4:51 PM by kglad

streaming MP4 and buffer timeframes

mach6ix

Hello and thank you in advance for reading my post.

I have built a video gallery. All videos are stored on a video hosting server.

Throughout my timeline, I have various FLVPlayers mapped to their relevant video.

The videos are generally from 45 mins to 1 hr 15 mins in length.

I am finding that the video doesn't start to play until a player has been sitting there for 5-7 mins. I am assuming this has something to do with the buffer timeframes HOWEVER, when I attempt to access the same MP4's through Google Chrome, they start playing within 10 seconds.

Any ideas what my issue might be?

There is no actionscript refering to the videos or onClip handlers. The video players are there and simply refer to URL of the video it should be playing.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Cheers

• 1. Re: streaming MP4 and buffer timeframes
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

does the first video viewed have the same issue?

• 2. Re: streaming MP4 and buffer timeframes
            mach6ix Level 1

Hi K-Glad,

I should re-iterate my original message as it may have been misleading.

What I mean't to say was that when attempting to view/play the videos, through the FLVplayer components I have throughout my timeline, none of the videos playback in a "user friendly" timeframe as the video doesn't start playing until 5-7 mins after the page has been accessed (all video players are set to auto play of which i've turned off as well to see if it makes any differnce, of which it doesn't).

So, I opted to see what happens if I simply put the URL into Google Chrome (skipping the FLASH built video gallery entirely - I.E. https://videoserver.com/Videos/Video1.mp4)

Google Chrome almost instantly plays the video back thorugh it's own built in MP4 player.

Thanks K-Glad,

Mike

• 3. Re: streaming MP4 and buffer timeframes

when you view your first video an flvplayback component is visible and plays your video.   to view that video one component is on-stage, correct?  is that the only component that's ever on-stage up to and including the time that first video is viewed?  ie, there's no chance you've started streaming another flv/mp4 while the first is being viewed/queued.

• 4. Re: streaming MP4 and buffer timeframes
                mach6ix Level 1

Hi K-Glad,

I have set it to "pause at start" so it doesn't play through the other slides outside of the menu however you make a great point.

The FLASH FILE contains 12 videos. There are three user access levels to access these videos so in essence, there's 36 FRAMES with FLVPlayers in them.

If the user being authenticated is not in the first group of 12 FRAMES (being the most senior level of access - Frames 1-12) but you are forwarded to the 2nd set of 12 FRAMES (Frames 13-24), essentially the page is going through all of these other 12 frames and prompting them to start downloading their videos?

I have all FLVPlayers set on "automatic playback" so the moment the 1-12 frames are crossed, to get access to the 13-24 frames, the first group are actually be queued to start downloading their related video.

I will certainly disable the "auto playback", so any frames that are crossed over, don’t prompt a video download.

Do the steps I suggest make sense/logical?

Thanks mate,

Mike

• 5. Re: streaming MP4 and buffer timeframes

none of the flvplayback component's should even have their contentPath defined until you're ready to start them streaming their video.  you'll also need to take some steps to stop the video streaming if you navigate away from an flvplayback component that's started to stream its video.

• 6. Re: streaming MP4 and buffer timeframes
                    mach6ix Level 1

Each instance of the component has a "content path" area where you state the URL of the flv, f4v or mp4 you wish for it to play. The component is not XML fed so I'm not sure if I've done something incorrectly or if all is well.

There is no actionscipt behind these FLVPlayer instances. If one chooses to leave that frame, does the video they were just watching, continue to stream?

If so, I've got a lot of learning to do.

Was hoping for a simple

a: Place Video on Server

b: Add menu and various frames each containing an FLVPlayerPro instance and point each one to a single video

Person uses the menu and clicks gotoAndStop to that frame and watch, scrub and go back to the main menu for their next selection.

• 7. Re: streaming MP4 and buffer timeframes

mach6ix wrote:

Each instance of the component has a "content path" area where you state the URL of the flv, f4v or mp4 you wish for it to play. The component is not XML fed so I'm not sure if I've done something incorrectly or if all is well.

There is no actionscipt behind these FLVPlayer instances. If one chooses to leave that frame, does the video they were just watching, continue to stream?  YES.

If so, I've got a lot of learning to do.

yes.  check my above message.