6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 9:22 AM by andygreener

exporting or encoding a .mov from prem cs5

andygreener

i've been reading about the possible quicktime problems in prem cs5 with it running only on windows 64bit.

will it still export or encode to a .mov file ok or is there any issues with this format.

i'm about to spend a small fortune on new kit from panasonic P2 camera to prem cs5 and new computer. i can't see any problems but it doesn't hurt to get any opinions.

thanks in advance

andy

• 1. Re: exporting or encoding a .mov from prem cs5
          Colin Brougham Level 6

will it still export or encode to a .mov file ok or is there any issues with this format.

This is too generic of a question to provide any useful information to you. QuickTime MOV is a container for all sorts of different things; what specifically do you want to put in it, and why? Personally, I work with QuickTime frequently on Windows 7 x64 with no major issues to speak of.

i'm about to spend a small fortune on new kit from panasonic P2 camera to prem cs5 and new computer.

Adobe has one of the better, if not the best, platforms for P2 editing in Premiere Pro. I'm not sure why you're bringing this up here, but if it's in any relation to your QuickTime issue, P2 has nothing to do with QuickTime, at least as far as Windows is concerned.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: exporting or encoding a .mov from prem cs5
            andygreener Level 1

sorry the P2 had nothing to do with the post bar the fact that i was pointing out i don't want to spend 15k on equipment if i can't produce the end product out of cs5.

the exact .mov profiles for output

Wrapper: MOV (QuickTime Movie)
            Video Codec: H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10)
            Either Video Bit Rate: 2Mbps Constant (Minimum)
            Or Video Compressor Quality: 85% or above (Maximum)
            Video Frame Size (recommended): 720x576
            Video Frame Rate: 25 fps
            Video Aspect Ratio: 16:9
            Audio Codec: AAC (Mpeg-4 Audio)
            Audio Sample Size: 16bit
            Audio Bit rate: 160Kbps 48 khz Stereo (Minimum)
            Audio Bit rate: 256Kbps 48 khz Stereo (Maximum)
            Progressive Encoding filter enabled or source is deinterlaced before encoding.

sorry about the vagueness this is my first post on here.

thanks

andy

• 4. Re: exporting or encoding a .mov from prem cs5
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Andy,

I don't have appropriate footage to test, but threw together a quick generated test for you to check out. This is based on your posted requirements.

Note that the DAR flag doesn't get set properly (often an issue with QuickTime), and you don't have too many audio encoding options from Premiere. If it's a big issue, you could always export an uncompressed file from Premiere, and open and export the required delivery file from QuickTime Pro or (my preference) MPEG Streamclip. I typically use MPEG Streamclip if I need to deliver a H.264 QuickTime MOV for broadcast.

Hope that helps.

• 5. Re: exporting or encoding a .mov from prem cs5
                Tommy_TV

Hi

Although Quicktime doesn't appear in the output file types in Adobe Media Encoder when first installed, once you install Quicktime  off the Apple site, it appears in the dropdown. We've just exported 11 movies of between 15mins and 1 hr 45 mins. Quicktime, H 264 (set in the codec dropdown), resized to 512 x 288 and square pixels. If you're working widescreen and try to export as 360 x 288 and widescreen Pixel aspect ratio, you get an anamorphic 4 x 3. I tried resizing that in Quicktime Pro and I finished up with a 16 x 9 image but the video footage was still 4 x 3 anamorphic with black bands either side. Media Encoder was very fast too. 45 minutes of footage, resized as above and a slight crop to remove the remains of  VITC took approx 8 mins.

Cheers

Martin

Mint Copies

• 6. Re: exporting or encoding a .mov from prem cs5
                  andygreener Level 1

thanks for the quick and helpful repsonses, i feel more confident that i shouldn't have any problems i can't deal with regarding cs5.

thanks again

andy