10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 8:10 AM by Mylenium

Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?

PKPictures

We've migrated an older CS4 project to CS5, incorported a ton of changes and have noticed that our .iff image sequences are not showing up.

CS5 never gave me an indication that files were missing, so I thought everything was ok and actuall the files aren't missing.  I've tried to relink the files, but they still show up as missing content with the color bars. Why is CS5 not displaying my .iff image sequence?

• 1. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please be more specific! What IFF files? What bit-depth? What channels do they contain, if from a 3D package? What computer are you working on? If possible, also provide a file from the sequence for investigation and verification. If they show up empty, AE thinks they have no RGB and Alpha channels, but may contain otehr data. Could even be an issue with the order in which the channels are written by whatever program produces these IFFs....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?
            PKPictures Level 1

The .iff files are from Maya. This project was upconvert from AECS4, so I figured something may have gone wrong through that process, but apparently it's more than that. I was able to re-link each sequence and the files showed up. However when I hit render, I came back the next morning and had IO errors pertaining to the .iff files again. Why does it matter where these files came from? I've been getting .iff files from my animator for a long time and with CS4 there was NEVER an issue. Now with CS5, they flat out are not recognized properly. My animator is also very frustrated as it's happening in his CS5 as well. I can't see how there is anything wrong with the .iff file, but more likely that somethign changed in the IO parameters in CS5 regarding iff files. My work around is to take the .iff seq back into CS4 and render it as another file type. A huge frustration and time killer.

• 3. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What's the exact wording of the error messages, and when exactly do they occur? What operating system?

• 4. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?

I understand your frustrations, but as Todd said, it realyl would help to know the exact messages and, at least for me, to have a sample file. I've bene using Maya up to v5, but not any recent version and I'm aware of the ugly nature of some of the stuff there, including that odd IFF format they are using. On that same note, would it not be an option to use a layered EXR, TIFF or PSD? As far as I'm aware, these features have been there at least since Maya 2008, but of course there may be issues and limitations I have no clue about.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?
                  PKPictures Level 1

Todd,

it happened 7000 frames into a 19000 frame render. It's a bit odd, because the .iff files don't show up until about 7800 frames. I wish I would have payed a bit more attention to the actual error message. Out of frustration, I quickly hit ok and restarted. The only info I have is IO error and the .iff was listed in the error.

OS is 10.6.4

• 6. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?
                    PKPictures Level 1

Mylenium,

Here is some info my animator sent me today:

I'm working with the latest version of Maya (2011) and Snow Leopard (10.6.4). I am having the issue as well with Open EXR files as well in AE.

• 7. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?
                      PKPictures Level 1

Mylenium,

Here is a link to download a few .iff files.

First frame, middle frame and last frame.

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/925539041/ae373de24998bdf597c5808e2e66cce5

thanks,

Bryan

• 8. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just imported and viewed the test files that you sent. They all imported fine. Two of them seem to be blank (entirely transparent, no particles), whereas the ParticleVortexBGLeft_10000.iff shows multicolored particles in an otherwise transparent frame. No IO error.

• 9. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?
                          PKPictures Level 1

Todd,

Thanks for the extra effort.

We're apparently dealing with an intermittent issue which are never fun to troubleshoot.

Once I re-linked the files, I'm able to see them. It's on the render that I got the I/O error.

However, I've restarted the render and it's blazed through the section where it previously crashed, so go figure.

I'm also dealing with a very complex project that is an 80MB project file with 200+GB of source material, a bazillion layers etc.

so we are pushing things really far. At least CS5 is able to render my full res comps, which I couldn't do with CS4.

So progress has been made.

In the meantime, I have converted my .iff sequences into png movies to reduce conflicts.

-Bryan

• 10. Re: Why aren't my .iff image sequences showing up in CS5?

Actually the issue may relate to these files being 32bit IFFs and you running out of memory somewhere. It also seems to me that the canvas sizes are not stored in the header (typical Maya), so AE would have to load the entire file first to determine its dimensions. If it is unable to do that, even a single seemingly missing pixel would throw it off. To be sure, I would check for networking issues. Of course somewhere AE is also acting up, but fixing these problems might already make for a more predictable, stable workflow...

Mylenium