3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 3:58 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 8 640x360 Preset?

nesnnewmediatech

I've captured a video at 720x480 in Flash Media Live Encoder 3.1, but cropped it during encoding so that it encodes as an f4v at 640x360. Adobe Premiere Elements 8 seems to have all kinds of 16x9 presets, but they all seem to be at 720x480, which is not actually a 16x9 ratio. When using these Premiere presets, the black "canvas" seems to be 657x361, and my imported 640x360 video has black bars on the left and right. How can I change/create my own presets in Premiere?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 640x360 Preset?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can not create your own project presets in Premiere Elements.

However, as I explain in detail in my books, both 4:3 and 16:9 widescreen standard definition video use exactly the same number of pixels -- 720x480.

In the case of 4:3, the pixels are taller than they are wide; in 16:9 video the pixels are wider than they are tall.

What you need to pay attention to is the type of camcorder your video came from and match your project settings to it.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 640x360 Preset?
            nesnnewmediatech Level 1

The video is actually coming from a cable box for the television network where I work, not a video camera. The source channel is an HD channel, which Flash Media Encoder recognizes as a 720x480 input, since its being converted  to a signal my PC can understand via RCA composite cables, which don't support true HD. Do you have any experience with non-camera inputs and working with Elements? Is Elements the right software or do I maybe need a more advanced version of Premiere?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 640x360 Preset?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what video format you're working with ultimately, nes. So I can't advise.

But, from the sounds of things, Premiere Elements is definitely not the video editing app for you. Sorry.