6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 11:54 PM by Al the Drifter

clone a clip envelope

Paul_Ferguson Level 2

I'd like to be able to clone a clip volume envelope that I've drawn (or pan envelope, for that matter) and apply it to another track.  It would save me having to draw the same envelope twice in the case of putting two mics on my guitar amp, for instance.

• 1. Re: clone a clip envelope
          Paul_Ferguson Level 2

The latest version of FL Studio allows the user to copy and paste automation values.  If somebody who calls their product Fruity Loops can do it, so can you.  :-)

• 2. Re: clone a clip envelope
            Al the Drifter Level 1

That's a good task for a BUS track.

Whenever I have two (or more) tracks that have a common set of attributes,

(eg. left/right mics, or common effects, common volume envelopes),

I create a bus and load it with the shared items.

An added benefit of this aproach is that your volume fader on the base channels

is independent of the volume automation on the bus.  So if you decide after

the fact to boost one base channel by 1db - no problem.

Hey, I'm a dobro player too !

Cheers,

Alan

• 3. Re: clone a clip envelope
              Paul_Ferguson Level 2

Hmm...  Okay, but how do you draw a volume envelope for the tracks in the automation lane for the bus?  I use clip envelopes for volume envelopes because I have to see the details of the waveform for the accuracy I want.

• 4. Re: clone a clip envelope
                Al the Drifter Level 1

Hmm...  Okay, but how do you draw a volume envelope for the tracks

in the automation lane for the bus?  I use clip envelopes for

volume envelopes because I have to see the details of the waveform

for the accuracy I want.

You could move the bus track right next

to the one holding the waveforms.

Should be close enough to get an accurate read.

At the root of this, I agree with you that the

tools for managing automation need some

improvement.

--

Alan

• 5. Re: clone a clip envelope
                  Paul_Ferguson Level 2

Okay, Al the Drifter, I tried using the track volume envelope on the bus to automate levels for whatever went into that bus, but the scale made it difficult to work with even with the whole lane expanded as much as possible, and it wasn't as fast as drawing a clip volume envelope for another reason - it's easier to draw an envelope which is suprimposed on the actual clip.  There's guesswork involved used the track volume envelope.  I think I'll just continue to draw clip volume envelopes on each clip.

• 6. Re: clone a clip envelope
                    Al the Drifter Level 1

True, it's not an ideal solution - but you only have to do it once, as per your original desire.

Also, drawing clip envelopes (as opposed to track automation) quickly gets tiring if you have many clips on a track.

There are a number of annoyances around automation, such as the scaling (as you mentioned) and the inability to key in values instead of mousing around.  I would also like a means of using the fader to adjust overall track volume while keeping automation intact.

Last time around, Adobe accepted my suggestion of being able to clone a track; maybe they'll pick up your automation cloning idea.

Actually, that gives me the idea that you could set your automation on one track, clone the track, then replace the clips there with those from your second track.  Still a kludge, though.

--

Alan