8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 6:59 AM by flycaster99

Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?

flycaster99

Been going nuts trying to uninstall Adobe Reader 8 and install AR9.  My OS is Windows 7, recently upgraded from Vista.

No matter how I try using Revo Uninstaller and Windows uninstaller, I am still left with Program Files (x86) >Adobe>Reader 8.0>Reader, Resource, Setup Files even though Windows uninstaller doesn't show anything for Adobe.   BTW, the last three folders have hardly anything in them.  Anyway, after downloading/installing AR9 many times, Explorer still shows Reader 8.0. BTW, AR8 is a preload that came with the computer and resides in OS>Acer>Preload>Autorun>App: Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader. How do I get AR9 to replace AR8?

• 1. Re: Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?
          flycaster99 Level 1

Sorry to add as another post, but there doesn't seem to be an edit button.

Here's some more info.  All that shows up in program files after dl/installing AR9 is: Adobe/Flash Player/AddIns/airappinstaller.  Also, Windows Uninstaller has only Adobe AIR and Adobe Download Mgr.  Should I at least have: Adobe Reader 9.3.3 MUI?  What I think I need is to know how to completely uninstall everything Adobe and then how to get 9.3 installed.  When installing via the Adobe download mgr, it said 100% completed, but when I closed it, it then asked if it should close and not dl any more programs...I said yes.

• 2. Re: Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?
            pwillener Level 8
            • Uninstall Adobe AIR.
            • Uninstall Adobe DLM.
            • Uninstall Adobe Reader.

Download and installer the latest Adobe Reader http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe (English version, not MUI).

• 3. Re: Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?
              flycaster99 Level 1

Thanks for the reply and the download.  Adobe has been deleted from Program File (x86), but there are two Adobe folders that still exist in Acer>Preload>Autorun: Flash Player and Reaqder 8.  But for the latter, the only .exe is setup.exe.  There is no adobe.exe.  How should I proceed?

• 4. Re: Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?
                pwillener Level 8

I don't know what Acer>Preload>Autorun is - perhaps something specific to Acer machines?

Run mscofig and check that none of the startup items point to that 'Reader 8' folder.  If indeed nothing does, either ignore the folder, or just delete it.

• 5. Re: Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?
                  flycaster99 Level 1

The Acer part was stuff that was already loaded onto the computer when I bought it.  However, it appears that setup wasn't opened.  Of if it had been, I think I mucked it up as I can't get any pdf's to show...whereas I could before.  Anyway, Adobe Reader is in the Startup of MSConfig, but not checked.  I have dl's the link you gave me, and ran it.  But I see Adobe Reader 9.3.3 nowhere in sight (and pdf's won't open).

Problem could be that the download was an update and since i had no previous version of AR showing, maybe the this was the wrong program to install???

• 6. Re: Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?
                    pwillener Level 8

The link that I gave in post #2 is a full install, not an update.

Did you run it as an Administrator user?

• 7. Re: Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?
                      flycaster99 Level 1

Now you got me there.  I have problems understanding and utilizing  the differences between running as administrator vs running as anything else.  so, I really don't know what I did.  However, I would try it again if you can help me how to determine just what kind of user I am running it as. And, how should it be run?

EDIT:  Once again, this is nuts.  DL's your link, ran it, the Adobe DLM said installation was 100% complete, but I can't find any sign of Adobe Reader anywheres on my computer.  And, of course, when I go to open a pdf, I get a dropdown box asking if I want to Find a program to open the pdf???

Message was edited by: flycaster99

• 8. Re: Can't get AR9 to replace AR8?
                        flycaster99 Level 1

GOT THE SOLUTION.

C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9

and run Setup.exe.  Apparently the app wasn't installed, just the setup.