9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 5:19 PM by Bill_VA_2008

Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file

CFProf Level 1

It appears that when an existing HTML page is updated a tmp file is created.  The name always starts with MFCxxxxx.tmp.  For some reason this has stopped working on my system and when I save a modified file the file is blown away, no longer exists in the file view.  I have to do a second SAVE which allows me to save the file as though it were a new file.  As the tmp file name changes each time an attempt to save is made this must be a feature of dreamweaver. Anyone know how to get this feature working?  I have not been able to find an answer in FAQ or the support areas.

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

It appears that when an existing HTML page is updated a tmp file is created.  The name always starts with MFCxxxxx.tmp.  For some reason this has stopped working on my system and when I save a modified file the file is blown away, no longer exists in the file view.  I have to do a second SAVE which allows me to save the file as though it were a new file.  As the tmp file name changes each time an attempt to save is made this must be a feature of dreamweaver. Anyone know how to get this feature working?  I have not been able to find an answer in FAQ or the support areas.

This is controlled in the Preferences, in the Preview in Browser category, via the "Preview using temporary file" option.

HTH,

Randy

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file
            Bill_VA_2008 Level 1

Randy, CFprof is referring to a different issue dealing with temp files.  If I set the preferences as you described and previewed the file in an external browser, it displays a tmp*.htm file, and if that's what you want then that works as desired.  CFprof is referring to an undesired behavior where DW creates these little annoying files starting with MFC*.  It seems to be rather random when it does it and sometimes the creation of the file is followed by an alert that says "Encountered a sharing violation while accessing g:\inetpub\wwwroot\path\MFCXXX.tmp". 

For instance, just now I opened 20 files, did a simple global search and replace on all open documents, then clicked on the Save All button and got the error and DW created 4 new MFC8.tmp files.  Sometimes I can do the same thing and no issues.  Doesn't make sense.

It used to do this on my Vista machine, but not nearly as much.  With my Win7 machine it happens way too much.  I have a theory.  My new computer is crazy fast, all SSDs and an i7 processor overclocked to 4gHz, maybe DW can't keep up?

There has got to be a reason this is happening.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file

Randy, CFprof is referring to a different issue dealing with temp files.  If I set the preferences as you described and previewed the file in an external browser, it displays a tmp*.htm file, and if that's what you want then that works as desired.  CFprof is referring to an undesired behavior where DW creates these little annoying files starting with MFC*.  It seems to be rather random when it does it and sometimes the creation of the file is followed by an alert that says "Encountered a sharing violation while accessing g:\inetpub\wwwroot\path\MFCXXX.tmp". 

For instance, just now I opened 20 files, did a simple global search and replace on all open documents, then clicked on the Save All button and got the error and DW created 4 new MFC8.tmp files.  Sometimes I can do the same thing and no issues.  Doesn't make sense.

It used to do this on my Vista machine, but not nearly as much.  With my Win7 machine it happens way too much.  I have a theory.  My new computer is crazy fast, all SSDs and an i7 processor overclocked to 4gHz, maybe DW can't keep up?

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

What version of DW are you using?

Thanks,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file
                Bill_VA_2008 Level 1

On my previous Vista machine I was using CS4.  Now on my Win7 machine, CS5.

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file
                  CFProf Level 1

I discovered by accident that if you just run DW in Vista or Win 7 that the problem I described happened.  When I run DW as an Administrator the problem goes away.  This has to do with the User Account Control function in Vista or Win 7.  You can set DW to always run as Administrator by right clicking the DW incon on the desktop and select properties. Select the compatibility tab and check the "Run as Administrator" check box at the bottom of the page. When you execute DR a pop will open asking if you want to allow DW to modify the computer; I just click OK and DW behaves the way I want it to.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file
                    Bill_VA_2008 Level 1

Well, that sounded like it would've worked.  However, after setting DW to run as Administrator, it still alerts me to the sharing issue and creates multiple MFC8.tmp files.

Next...?

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file

Next...?

This is great info. I am going to try to reproduce this problem nd I will let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Randy

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver 8 not creating tmp file
                        Bill_VA_2008 Level 1

I have solved this on my computer.  I disabled the "File Guard" Intelliguard option for PC Tools Spyware Doctor.

I can't tell you how nice this will be to not be worried about losing a file due to this behavior.

Thanks Randy!