15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2010 8:12 AM by JJosh088

HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...

nathanc92109

I am going crazy with this and I can't find a work-a-round that helps in this particular instance. What I have is a crime scene diagram that I created in 3DS Max and rendered out to the size that I need for the interactive exhibit. The problem (and it should be so simple) is that there are more than 20 evidence items that I need linked to the evidence markers within the diagram (ex: you click on evidence marker one in the 3D diagram and then there is a transition to the actual photo of that item and when you click anywhere within the screen, you are taken back to the main diagram to select a different evidentiary item). How do I accomplish this with the 20 state limit? At first I thought that I could just create a couple of custom components and link the evidence buttons to states within custom components (since they are able to be selected from the interactions panel, but doing so just kills the link altogether)...Of course the deadline is fast approaching and I am starting to panic! I know just enough Flash Professional to be dangerous, but I don't want to go that route (unless I absolutely have to)...ActionScript and I do not get along very well =(. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
          Tanya Heins-2I5OoU Level 3

Hi,

You should be fine to work around this with Custom Components.  Take a look at this FAQ that explains how you can divide up your states (evidence items) into Custom Components.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2830543#2830543

Best,

Tanya

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
            nathanc92109-b5OFak

I am not sure how this will fix my problem =(. I have a membership to Lynda.com and I have watched all of their videos (one of which the link that you posted points to). Unfortunately I still don't see how I can use this to make 20+ evidence markers that originate from one main page and have to be linked to other items that return back to the main page of 20 items. I could see how this would work if not all of the groups were accessible at once and I think I understand how custom components would come in handy in that instance. In fact, I have no problem with custom components within the diagram that take me to different areas altogether. I have a couple of custom components that have worked out fine within the diagram (ex: a car that was shot up, you click on the car (in the home state) and then you are brought to a custom component that is a close-up of the automobile and you can select the interior and exterior views as well as selecting evidence items that link to corresponding photos), this all works ok. What I am having the real issue with is (and I am sure that I must be missing something) the page with 20+ items. After reading your post, I converted an evidence item into a custom component. Next, I created the initial state to look like the "rollover" button image. I figured that I could create an interaction that was an "on rollover" transition to state one of the custom components. That state contained the actual button and then I linked the button "onclick" to state 2 of the custom component (this seemed like it should work). Unfortunately as soon as I added the image in state number two and went back to the initial "Home" state, the custom component "hit area" was now the size of state number 2 of the custom component. Then I thought that the way around that (which would be completely overly complicated) would be to make a new button and have it go to the custom component "on rollover" and then back to "home" on "rollout"...This seems horribly inefficient and it didn't work either. Ideally, all that I want to do is create button and a couple of custom components (the custom component states are the actual images), then link the button to the states within the custom components and then have the custom components link back to the main page. This should be simple, but I am about to pull my hair out. Is any of this possible, what am I missing? Is my program functioning properly? Help =(

• 3. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
              Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hi there,

I think you're on the right track with Custom Components, but it is very difficult to understand what exactly you are trying to do. Could you post at least part of what you have working, and explain what we can do to witness the behavior you are trying to achieve?

From what I can understand, here is what I would suggest:

For each evidence item, create a custom component that has a "showing" and "not showing" state. When you click an evidence marker, transition the evidence item's custom component from Not Showing to Showing. When you want to dismiss the evidence item, transition it from Showing to Not Showing. It sounds like you are using a button click interaction to show an evidence item, what are you using to dismiss it?

Good luck!

-Bear

• 4. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
                nathanc92109 Level 1

Ok, here is what I have...I have more than 20 "buttons to image", the problem is that I need to call up the image when you click the button and then return to the "Home" state after viewing the image, so that you can select another group of items. Before I knew that there was a 20 state limit, I just created different states and it worked perfectly. The way that I was returning to the home state was simply by converting the images to buttons and then having them re-direct back to the home state.

The problem is that more than 20 items need to be accessible all of the time on the "Home" state and in any order (completely non-linear). The solution (which is a selectable option) seemed to be to create a few custom components that contained my images and then link to the states within those from the Home state, but that didn't work either.

This should be so simple (which is why I chose to use this program instead of Flash), because I also wanted to add elements where there are integrated animations to other aspects of the diagram (zooming into the car and then having an isolated version of interior and exterior). I have learned the basics of flash and action script, but it was a nightmare for me and I didn't want to revisit that, because I haven't used Flash for awhile. This seemed like such a promising solution lol...

I appreciate the assistance!

• 6. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
                  Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hi again,

There are a couple ways you could do this. I'll mention the gist of 2 different methods.

1. Top level has two pages, an evidence not showing and an evidence showing state. In this "Map" Page, all of your evidence images are present, but offscreen and have opacity set to 0. In the "Evidence Showing" state, the map image is blurry, and all the evidence images are in the center, still with opacity 0. The trick is that when you click a button, you add an action sequence that sets a particular images opacity to 100, and changes state to "Evidence Showing". When you click on the image (by making all images buttons, or adding an invisible button to the image area), you transition back to the "Map" Page. You may need to add cleanup "Set Property" > "Opacity" > "0" actions for every image in the Evidence Showing > Map transition.

2. You still have two top-level pages, "Map" and "Evidence Showing". You have a custom component for each evidence item, with a "Showing" and "Not Showing" state. Each evidence button in the Map Page transitions to the Evidence Showing page, and sets the evidence item component's state to "Showing". Clicking on the evidence item component in the Evidence Showing page sets the page to the Map Page, and sets the evidence item component's state to "Not showing". The evidence item component needs to be present in both the map and evidence showing states. Each evidence item needs its own custom component.

You could get option 1 up and running faster. Option 2 would allow for more customization later on in the process. I'd suggest doing a quick prototype of the one you want to make sure all the functionality you are looking for will work with a given method.

-Bear

• 7. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
                    nathanc92109 Level 1

I think that I am going to start over and create the project in Flash CS5 Pro. The whole reason that I wanted to use Catalyst was for ease of use and I thought that linking image states would be simple enough, but the 20 state limit killed that idea (I wish that I would have known about that before I designed the entire site...of course that is my fault for assuming). At this point, this project is becoming more complicated than it would have been for me to just create the project in Flash. Again, I really appreciate the help and prompt responses =) !

Thanks!!!

-Nathan

• 8. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...

May well be quicker to go with what you know.

Here's a quick wireframe example that shows how nested Custom Components can enable infinite states. These Custom Components are housing buttons for navigation.  Instead of buttons, I'd see your example housing the content/photo's as users drill down into the different areas of the crime scene.

Best,

Tanya

1 person found this helpful
                      • 10. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
                        nathanc92109 Level 1

I think that this was the answer! We shall see =)

I will post once I have completed the project!

• 11. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...

Sounds like an interesting project. Hope it works out.  :)

• 12. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
                            Shane Lord

Tanya, Your example helped..  Is there a way to hide the original state buttons when your in the custom component?

So in basic terms, what if you just wanted to make a slide show that has more than 20 photos?,If i make a custom component out of slide 19 for example, and then have more slides inside that component, I can't hide slide 19 to reveal the other slides inside it..?? The original states is always on the screen and on the top layers.. Any ideas?

• 13. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
                              Shane Lord Level 1

OK, I found a workaround...  On State 19, I have no photo( it's a black screen).. Then i added a small text dot (you can't see it) and made a custom component out of that dot. Then added the next photo on state 1 of the CC..  worked great so far..

• 14. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
                                Tanya Heins-xmersq

Yup.  That's the right approach.  You make a 'blank' screen as the first state, and then transition to the content on the subsequent states when necessary.

T

• 15. Re: HELP!!! Problem with State Limitations, Custom Components etc...
                                  JJosh088

Hi Tanya

have a similar project I am working on. With your ManyStatesExample, I am trying to replicate a progam like Microsoft word. I have created the first custom combo box which has a button and a datalist. This show's my file drop down menu. Now I want to create custom components for each menu item: Edit menu, View menu and so on... that will be a total of 9 custom drop down menu components. Is it now possible to put all these components within another custom component to create a navigation bar, for eaxmple the Microsoft word top menu?

Then with the datalist items in each component transitions to a state to show content in the main window.

Is it possible to do this interface in Flash catalyst.

Regards

Josh.