8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 3:22 AM by Harm Millaard

Non-Technical Forum?

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

CS5 is loaded, the PC has appropriate Nvidia upgrade and I'm ready to start on my first Pr CS5 project!

I've used another, non-Adobe programme so far but I'm about to move lock, stock and barrel into Pr. I have done a couple of projects in CS4 trial but this is a new venture. I'm keen to get the best quality. I'm going through the various video tutorials and the FAQs but before I start capturing, are there any tips (from experience) on capture settings that might not be obvious? I'm capturing from a Sony Z1 and I want to get the best quality possible (after spending all this cash with Adobe).

Also, I wonder if there's a kind of general application use forum? This one appears to be more technically orientated and I don't want to waste your time if there is some other forum where I should raise general editing questions.

• 1. Re: Non-Technical Forum?
          shooternz Level 6

Bring on your editing questions.

It's always a relief to see a question that is not about technicalities/hardware/codecs etc...

Of course sometimes an editing question will overlap into a technical answer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Non-Technical Forum?
            glaustin Level 1

That's great. Many thanks.

• 3. Re: Non-Technical Forum?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Welcome to the forums.

You will find these fora pretty active and can give you quite some help to get you started. Let's start with your first question:

Capturing is a digital transfer of data over firewire, bit by bit. Nothing is changed during the transfer and nothing can be changed. What is on the tape ends up on your hard disk. If the quality was shot, it will be on your hard disk with exactly the same quality after capture and there is nothing you can do about it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Non-Technical Forum?
                James P. Brady Level 1

Our studio sometimes uses a Sony Z1U as well--and we were shocked to find that its HD footage, when captured 10-bit YUV via analog component has a lot more color space information than the same footage captured as HDV via firewire.  This means that even though the camera's record mode states that it is "HDV", there is actually more information than that being recorded to the tape, and only becomes HDV-compressed when piped through firewire.

• 5. Re: Non-Technical Forum?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That is correct. The Z1 does not have HD-SDI out, so you have to do with 4:2:0 HDV material, which by the way stands for High Definition Video, meaning 1440 x 1080, The only way to get 4:2:2 material into the PC is live recording over HD-SDI. Once recorded, there is no way to restore 4:2:0 back to 4:2:2 signals, unless it is padding the signal with zeroes, without adding quality. It has been lost and there is no way you can reclaim that.

• 6. Re: Non-Technical Forum?
                    Mortimer IOU Level 2

This is the correct forum for discussions on how to use Pr CS5 to get the best product possibile. There are, inevitably, technical issues to be resolved with a new release, so maybe as time goes on the emphasis here will shift from technical to creative.

• 7. Re: Non-Technical Forum?
                      glaustin Level 1

Thanks Harm

I'm getting a bit confused. Forgive my ignorance but does this mean I can't actually capture HD footage from this camcorder via Pr using a Firewire? Does this mean it isn't HDV, even though Sony say it's HDV? I know they now have a strap-on attachment to record to disc instead of tape. Does anyone know if that solves this problem?

I bought the Z1 a couple of years ago because it seemed to have consistent reviews as an HD camcorder (and I saw a lot of pros and known broadcast companies use it for documentary making). I've then been upgrading machines and now software. Since buying CS5 I thought I was now ready to march fully into the exciting world of HD and start re-editing my captures over the last few years in glorious HD to see them in all their glory. I'm getting a little paranoid; everytime I pay out for new kit or an upgrade so I can finally edit in HD, I find something else has to be bought before I'm ready...

• 8. Re: Non-Technical Forum?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Actually, that is the only way, unless you use an external hard disk. But keep in mind:

HDMI.jpg

On tape or on an external hard disk is the same, it is HDV 1440 x 1080 material with a 4:2:0 colorspace.