9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 4:30 AM by Harm Millaard

Playback takes long to start

ruiterjm

Although I have good system requirements, I still have problems in the performance of Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. The rendering in the preview window (playback) takes long to start and hick-ups in video and audio appears. Jumping to some point in the timeline takes quite some time, sometimes 10 seconds.

Project

My project contains four MXF media files (sport event broadcasting), each about one hour long and 20GB in size. I also have imported some components from an After Effect project. All video an audio files already have peak files, located in the same directory as the original files.

Configuration

Since I thought the current 4GB RAM was the bottleneck, yesterday I bought some extra RAM and now have 9GB working fine. Now my configuration of my Dell XPS 435MT is:

• Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 4.8GT/sec)
      • RAM: 9216MB (3072MB (3x1024) 1067MHz DDR3 + 6144MB (3x2048) 1333MHz DDR3)
      • Hard Drive: 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
      • Display : 21.5 inch S2209W European Black Widescreen Trans Value (1920x1080) DVI-D
      • Graphics : 512MB ATI Radeon 4850 Graphics card
      • Audio: Audio Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability

In Premiere, the setup for Preference > Memory is at 6GB for Adobe and 3GB for other applications. First, the rendering looked good, but after some minutes the start of a preview takes longer again. Sometimes after quitting and restarting Premiere it goes well for some time.

When the previews took long to start, I started to look at some performance data. I’m not doing any other big processes, my CPU keeps running low and my RAM is quite constant at 4GB. So, that looks to be OK.

Can my hard drive be a problem? I have one hard drive, partitioned in two drives, where all programs are on C: and D: contains the project and all video and audio files (has about 60GB free space).

One small other thing I spotted was that the After Effects stuff is peak filed every time I open the project. For one specific component out of AE I already count 48 peak files. The other video files are not being peak filed again. Does Premiere make a new peak file for all imported components, although some components are untouched? I don’t think this is the cause, but it looks strange.

Are there other things to look at? Any help would be kindly appreciated.