7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 6:32 AM by Colin Brougham

h.263 Exports and .mp4 Files

tbaws

First off I am running CS5 on Windows 7.

I am trying to export videos for Blackberry devices (specifically the older models which I don't believe support h.264 decoding.)  On my old computer, using Sorenson Squueze, I was able to produce a file that would play on the older models. I've exported several videos using the h.264 format, which play on newer devices but only play audio on the older phones.

I've been trying to use the mpeg4 preset, but it seems to only be capable of playing 3gp files, and the ones that I export don't seem to play very well, if at all,on the devices.  There's the option under the mpeg4 preset to change the Multiplexer to mp4, which I've tried.  This always results in an unplayable file.  Unplayable in Device Manager, unplayable in Quicktime.  Does anyone have any experience with these devices? or with the mp4 multiplexer?  Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I ran the old file, that I was exporting from Squeeze through GSpot, so if any of you can read it and tell me where to start, or conclusively that this file/its properties cannot be replicated in Premiere, I'd be very grateful.

GSPOT INFO

Container:

mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
      - isom: MP4  Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
      Recommended Display Size: 320 x 240
      Created:      2010 Jun 30   07:57:24
      Modified:      2010 Jun 30   07:57:24

Video:

Codec : m4v
      Name: MPEG-4 Video
      Codec: Codec Status Undetermined
      FPS: 24
      WxH: 320x240
      sar: 1.333 (4:3)
      par: 1.000 (1:1)
      dar: 1.333 (4:3)

Audio:

Codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
      16000Hz, mono, (1,0)

• 1. Re: h.263 Exports and .mp4 Files
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Here's a starting point: Blackberry 4x3 AME preset (right-click and select "Save Link As"). Import this into AME or Premiere's export window to use; it will appear under MP4.

Adjust cropping to taste; this is a single pass CBR, and I didn't test VBR to see if it would work with my BB8330. I presume it would, but you can change if necessary. Also, Maximum Render Quality and Maximum Bit Depth are set, which will increase the encoding time but provide better results; disable if time is a factor.

Looks good on my 8330, which is pretty old now in technology terms.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: h.263 Exports and .mp4 Files
            tbaws Level 1

Maybe I'm just new to these forums and a bit confused, but that doesn't seem to be an actual link?  I can't click it, right-click or otherwise

• 3. Re: h.263 Exports and .mp4 Files
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Did I ever mention how much I love this awesome forum software?

Try this: LINKY POO

• 4. Re: h.263 Exports and .mp4 Files
                tbaws Level 1

Haha thanks, that seems to be working fantastically on the device that I have here to test on.  I won't be able to test the other devices until tomorrow,

but it's working on this one when it didn't before.  Any chance you can explain what you did/why it helped?  I see that you have it on level 3, and have enabled the resynchronization marker... is that what made it work with the mp4 multiplexer?

• 5. Re: h.263 Exports and .mp4 Files
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Any chance you can explain what you did/why it helped?  I see that you have it on level 3, and have enabled the resynchronization marker... is that what made it work with the mp4 multiplexer?

I used the MP4 multiplexer instead of the 3GPP multiplexer; I think that 3GPP is far more strict about how a file can be encoded and packaged, and the BB seems fine with MP4 as a container. That said, the BB video camera records to 3GPP files, so who knows?

Simple profile is a must; ASP won't work. Levels dictate the pixel dimensions of a file, the frame rate, and the maximum (and probably minimum) bitrate. Profiles actually describe what capabilities an particular standard or "part" has and can use to encode a file; for example, B-frames. To define a 320x240, 30fps, 400kbps file, I had to use Level 3... no biggie. Changing the level will automatically clamp those parameters, so you can see where the restrictions lie. Check here for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4

I used CBR, though you could probably use VBR 1-pass; 2-pass is not available. Your content will dictate what's best.

The biggest change I made was setting the Short Header to "No;" this was set to "Yes" by default. With this on, the dimensions were flip-flopped: height became 320, and width became 240. However, instead of being stretched, the video just expanded to the width dimension and stopped, maintaining aspect ratio. Turning this off allowed a proper encode. Resynchronization Markers were on by default; it didn't seem to make a difference. It might with streaming/transmitted video, but probably not with locally stored video.

That's pretty much it; I've typically used Squeeze in the past for my BB encodes, but I was actually quite happy with what came out of Premiere. I might use it going forward.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: h.263 Exports and .mp4 Files
                    tbaws Level 1

This has worked great for me on all my devices.  Thank you so much

• 7. Re: h.263 Exports and .mp4 Files
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

That's great to hear--glad it's working out for you. Come to think of it, I can't recall being able to (or maybe I never tried) make a BB-compatible video out of CS4. I can't imagine things have changed in this regard too much from CS4, but maybe...?