1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 9:22 AM by smithson48

making a data list a button

Bill BC

I made a data list of diffetent test that I want to convert to buttons with a rollover state and I want the buttons to laugh a movie, preferable a movie located outside of the application in a folder on my computer.

Is it possible to covert a data list item into a button?

• 1. Re: making a data list a button
          smithson48

Hi, I'm also interested in this.  In Catalyst, it says that interactions cannot be added to repeated items in a data list component.  But possibly this can be done in Flash Builder 4?  Like it says in the FC help doc: "For example, you can use a data list to show a collection of thumbnail images in a photo gallery."  For example, how do I make the item in the data list have a click interaction so I can zoom up on the image and show a big version?  Connect the dataList.selectedItem to a click handler with custom AS3 function?  So far, I am not seeing how to do that directly in Catalyst.

Also, in the FC documentation it says

"Most data lists are connected to a data source and populated with data dynamically at runtime. A developer can make this connection using Adobe Flash Builder. In Flash Catalyst, you can specify placeholder data to display in the list using the Design-Time Data panel."

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashcatalyst/cs/using/WS4bebcd66a74275c3-326fcb52123816c0204- 7fef.html

I know FC is supposed to be for non-developers, but it would be cool if there were a link to the Flash Builder documentation how to do some things like that if a designer/dev person wanted to dive into that.  Not all of us have the luxury of just "handing our file to a developer" as is (very) often mentioned in the Catalyst documentation.  Thanks!